Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A6 Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
1st Gear
Default 06 A6 Rear speakers

Hi All,

I own a 06 A6 with the bose audio system. I noticed that my audio quality seemed to be lacking from what it normally is and started to play around with the fade / balance.

I noticed that if i switch the sound all the way to the rear I noticed that the volume is about half that of the front speakers and there is also no bass. Seems to be highs only.

Is this normal? I checked the fuses and they are fine.

Please advise!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

The speakers in the rear deck are small and look to be mid-range/tweeters. The sub-woofers are the speakers in the bottom of the front doors. The sub-woofers have their own 100 watt amplifier located in the right front door speaker unit.

If you are worried that certain speakers are not working, get a VAG-COM. It will allow you to output test tones through each speaker individually. I believe it can also test for proper output levels by using the microphone for the AudioPilot system.

Here is some information on the Bose system from the Audi Self Study guide.

BOSE sound system

The new Audi A6 ́05 comes with a BOSE sound system, which mainly comprises components from the current Audi A8 ‘03. The division of the subwoofer function into two individual subwoofers integrated into the front doors means that the well-known 7-channel DSP BOSE amplifier must provide an additional output for the second subwoofer driver in the front right-hand door. The line-out output of the amplifier is used for this purpose. This output signal feeds an external 100 watt driver, which is integrated into the subwoofer in the front right-hand door.

The current BOSE amplifier is replaced by a new development with the launch of the Avant. All eight drivers for the BOSE sound system are then integrated into this new Avant amplifier. Given this, it will be important to note the exact part numbers and the related model year when replacing components of the BOSE sound system in the future, so that the functionality of the BOSE sound system is not lost!

BOSE sound system diagnosis
Diagnosis of the BOSE sound system is also performed using the address word 47 in the VAS tester. A basic setting is not required. The available actuator tests can be performed either selectively or sequentially.

The AudioPilot microphone, which is integrated into the BOSE sound system, can be used to absorb the acoustic pressure produced during the loudspeaker actuator tests and output this on the VAS diagnosis tester as a voltage signal.
If a voice operating system is installed, the microphone for this is also included in the test. The technician must then compare this voltage reading with a default reading set at the factory and evaluate the completed test as either OK or Not OK.

Last edited by ManyAudis; 07-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your quick and thorough reply. It looks from the diagram that 5 and 14 should be putting out mids / lows for the rear. I am taking the car in for routine maintenance so perhaps they will do a VAG-COM for me.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 AM
1st Gear

Hi, Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing since September. I took it to Audi Dealers who ran the car through the VAG-COM checks and it came back all clear too. I'm still convinced that something is wrong. My wife noticed it immediately a few days when shesat in the car too.

Any tips & help will be much appreciated
thanks