Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Audi A6 Quattro - Auto-Check Display illumination inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Default 1995 Audi A6 Quattro - Auto-Check Display illumination inop

Got a manual 1995 A6 with 107K on in from my FIL, almost never driven in the last few years - worked 4.0 when I got it with the exception of the Coolant Gauge (always inop) and it has now become my daily driver.

About 10 days after getting it the SRS light came on - no reason whatsoever, just illuminated one day.

About 20 days after getting it the cruise control started kicking off intermittently - and subsequently stopped functioning altogether.

Shortly thereafter the Auto-Check System Display stopped being illuminated during normal operations. If I force a BIT check on the display by pressing the left cluster button (stick) the ACD will illuminate, run through all the icons, and then go dark again.

It currently has a brake icon on it (legitimately) and it isn't illuminated. However, every once in a while it will illuminate for an entire drive... the next day, it's back to being dark (but with the icon still visible by flashlight).

I was planning on getting a VAG405 with a 2x2 OBD2 cable adapter to reset the SRS light and possibly the IN2 and IN2 inspection code messages that appear on the odometer. Didn't know if it would show any codes about the ACD - assumed it would not.

Any ideas on what would be causing the intermittent illumination of the ACD? Perhaps a common wire bundle that came loose or a controller of some sort, or possibly the indication of a bigger issue? I'm stumped by this one and not familiar enough with Audi to begin to troubleshoot this wacky intermittent illumination problem (let alone the other issues) - any help is greatly appreciated!