Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change the rotor, or change the rotors and the pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Default Change the rotor, or change the rotors and the pads?

I have a 2001 2.7t quattro w/factory sport package. I've had the car about a year and a half now. In the last couple of weeks i started to get some "shimmy" when slowing down any faster than 45mph(hot stopped it a bit racing an 05 a8, god that car is sweet!). The problem is getting worse by the week. I had the alignment checked and it was a little off so i had that fixed and still had the same problem just not as bad. Went to sears(because the local audi dealer is over an hour away) and they showed me that the front left rotor is slightly warped. They said the brakes are still 7mm to the good before i should have to worry about changing them. No one in this town knows anything about audi's. The best advice i know is to change both front rotors and brake pads. The car's only got 55k on it now. I bought it cert preowned. If that much brake is still left i'm assuming someone has already replaced the brakes and the rotors once(since the dealer pushes replacing the rotors so hard since your not supposed to turn them). Would I be ok just replacing the front left rotor or should i look at replacing both, or should i replace both and the pads? Whatever i need to replace where should i get the parts? Audi direct replacements or look aftermarket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Change the rotor, or change the rotors and the pads?

You should change both the pads and the rotors. Once the rotors start warping they are shot for good and there is nothing you can do. Here is a site that will help you with what you should do if you are questioning replacing the rotors.

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html#brakes

Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

or u can have the rotor cut or resurfaced...

Old 01-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Wow, thanks for the link. Great do it yourself details on changing them. Any advice on the brands to use? I'm normally a factory OEM guy.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I would go with OEM parts. Unless you want to go with crossed drilled and vented to keep the heat down. Which is why your rotors warped in the first place. I would not get your rotors cut or resurfaced. Cause the damage has been done to the rotor already with the high temperatures. The resurfaced rotor will only last a few hundred miles tell they are bad again. Just go with new rotors and pads and you will be good.

Here is a link for a place that sales vented rotors and everything else you may need for a brake job. The link is set up for my car which is a 2001 A6 4.2 with the HP2 front brakes. So make sure you change it unless you have the same thing.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ubcategory=OEM

Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Shimmy or shake when braking is usually brake rotors. If you are able to get both the rotors turned for less than $20 I would go for it. It will be a short term fix that will tell you if the rotors are the source of the shimmy/shake.

Rotors should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs. You can usually go through two sets of brake pads before needing to replace rotors if your calipers and brake lines are in good condition.

For non cross drilled rotors stick with ATE($162 pair). They are the OEM manufacturer for Audi. You should replace pads($110 to $140) too if you are replacing rotors.

eCarToys

Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 PM

Leaning toward zimmerman or brembo. I can get them for about $74-80 per rotor.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

Yes they are cheaper than ATE. Go for the Zimmermann, they are $141.22 a pair at my store. Shipping is Free.

eCarToys