Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Audi Quattro Wagon No Start Condition, No Fuel Injection Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 1998 Audi Quattro Wagon No Start Condition, No Fuel Injection Pulse

Hi Folks! I'm new to the site so I hope someone can help me out. To preface this problem, I do have many years experience as an electronics tech/field engineer and I've worked on a bunch of Audi's and VW's, we own 3 Audi's and 3 dubs (2 TDI's) and that's my problem! I need rehab......just kidding!

So I found this Audi with a no start condition, typical and usually not too big a deal to fix. This car is different though. The story was that it just wouldn't start one day. Supposedly someone installed a new crank sensor, didn't verify but it was not showing

* I have spark, car will start and sputter along on ether.
* Checked for fuel supply and fuel pump, both good (can't find my pressure gauge at the moment but it sprays out strong at the rail).

Here's the weird things I noticed:
* Radio does not power on. Pulled it, found 5amp fuse blown. Replaced it, still doesn't power up. I only have memory power at the plug - is there another fuse or power location I missed? checked all fuses, everything looks good, even the 5 under the passenger floor mat by the ECM.
* Not getting fuel injection pulse at the injectors. I have Cam/Crank signals.
* Did a VCDS Scan, only found a series of codes related to the central lock system, performed a code reset, and it shows good. I only have one key with a remote (remote does operate doors and alarm fine).

Is there a relation to the radio issue and fuel injection or am I probably looking at a bad ECM and Radio? I found it weird that the radio fuse was blown and now there is no power to the radio. I checked with a meter and there isn't even power to the fuse on the back of the radio. I'm concerned that if I stick another ECM in that I'll blow something else if there is another short or electrical issue there. Thank for any help and I appreciate any suggestions. And now that I've finally signed up, I'll try to help out some too!