Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2005 A6 3.2 Needing Work

Old 09-22-2014, 05:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking at a 2005 A6 3.2 Needing Work

Just trying to get some more thoughts from the various forums. I'm looking at potentially purchasing a 2005 C6 A6 3.2 Quattro that by all given info so far needs at LEAST the upper chain tensioners done.

I'm an ASE certified auto tech, so this kind of work doesn't bother me. It'll be a pain because I don't work in a shop anymore (got an awesome job at a local factory paying far better than an auto techs pay) so a lift is out of the question, but I'm finding that as long as the lower chains/tensioners are ok (which by what I'm seeing is a very rare failure point) the rest of the work can be done in engine bay (upper tensioners, head pulling if there's bent valves).

Here's the car I'm looking at: 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro

Yeah, 178K is a lot of miles. But I've already looked at the car in person twice, and other than the paint showing it's age, the interior is immaculate. Shockingly good condition actually. Going tomorrow to BRIEFLY run the car (just a start, idle for 5 seconds, kill it) to see if it's giving the typical tension loss chain rattle, and possibly do a compression test on the spot.

I guess my questions are this. A, should there be a big worry on the transmission? I know Audi says lifetime fill, and ZF says 30-50K for fluid/filter change. How are the transmissions holding up overall? Is there a high probability of nickel and diming me to death?

Personally given the work that's got to go into it I feel that $4500 is too high. I may offer them $3K tomorrow just to see if he bites, because as I figure it, just the tensioners is going to cost me around $700 or so to do including parts/tools. If it's got bent valves, that means popping the heads off and having them rebuilt, and once they're off, how are the pistons looking? So it could be a $700 fix, could be a $2K for just a head job, or more for a new motor. Granted, once it's running good, it's worth $8-10K by prices I've seen the past few days, but as of now, being unknown.......you know.

Why am I looking at this car? Saw it on my way to and from work, and have loved the C6 A6 line since it came out. I know these aren't found this cheap and do see a potential for some value in a nice driver for me. Just asking the experts.

Thanks y'all.