Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Audi A6 Quattro - recently bought and a bunch of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default 1999 Audi A6 Quattro - recently bought and a bunch of questions!

Hey all, a bunch of questions for my new a6 that i got, i've researched a bunch for most of these and just can't find them easily if at all

1st problem/question: I was driving at night and my driver-side HID had adjusted itself so it was 10ft in front of me - I could hardly see anything on the road (the passenger side was proper). I'm aware that they are always a little lower on the left side (image), but 10ft isn't the correct distance at all (not to mention dangerous). Needless to say, I pulled into a gas station, turned everything off and turned everything back on and my headlight automatically adjusted itself back. I haven't heard anything about my headlights adjusting themselves (nothing mentioned in the owners manual), so can anyone tell me anything more about this?

2nd question: What is this? I found this sitting under the plastic hood under my engine and it wasn't attached to anything - it'd be nice to know where it goes. I can't make out what the picture shows, maybe used to pull something off?

3rd question: What is the purpose of the little flap shade above your rear-view mirror? Just a sun shade? Kinda small to do much.

4th question/minor problem: My automatic seat doesn't remember the backrest position, so it resets everything properly except it brings the backrest all the way forward (haha it's not exactly fun to get squished trying to get your seat back to how it was, only sitting inside with the door closed of course). Does anyone know how the sensors in the seats work. I have to guess that i'm S-O-L, but oh well.

5th question: Both of my side-mirrors are a dark amber and have a dual-reflection to them, it's terrible using them to see at night much less driving during the day. As far as i've read, i've figured out that this is caused by the warming fluid going bad or something like that? Anyone want to give me a clear-cut answer for this one? Here's a picture:

Thanks for all your help, it's a beautiful ride and it feels nice to be a part of the Audi-world.

edit: Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by nm3210; 08-25-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

the orange thingy is a spark plug wire pull.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

3rd question: yes it is a sun shade flap to shield the space between the 2 side sunshades

Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

Your headlight problem is most likely the auto leveling function.

Take off the wheel on the side with the issue. On the lower control arms, those are the 2 aluminum(silver) arms that form a V pattern at the bottom of the knuckle. The knuckle(or upright) is the piece that the brakes/tire attaches.

One one of those lower control arms there should be a small plastic arm that attaches to the control arm and then upto a little electrical module. That arm moves with the control arm and that keeps the headlights level as ride height changes.

If the arm is broke then thats a easy fix, replace the arm. If the arm is not broke its either the little control module or the motor that moves the headlight itself.

I suspect a VAGCOM could tell you where the exact problem is if the plastic arm is entact.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

On your mirror question I think you may have to replace the mirror. I have a 2000 and interior mirror was the same as yours, amber in color and with the double vision eventual it started to leek.

I would recommend you replace them with ones from later models that a clear in the daytime and blue/green when dimmed, they are not amber in color at all. You could also go for some euro ones that give a wider field of vision and reduce blind spots.

I would suggest group buys or e-bay see if this helps

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/507839.phtml

they give you the part numbers for the euro glass and instructions on replacement