Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 hesitation, flashing CEL, oil in air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7 hesitation, flashing CEL, oil in air intake

today I was passing someone on the highway and it felt a little bit of a hesistation and I noticed a cloud of smoke behind me. the rest of the drive the car felt like it had a misfire; lack of power. I started it again when I was off work and smoke bellowed out the exhaust. back on the highway I put my foot in the pedal to see if it was still hesitating, then the flashing CEL came on, but went back off when I let off the throttle. got it home and started taking things apart where I found the river of oil in the air intake hose

my guess is a turbo or the rings... has any one had any thing like this happen? or have any idea of what the issue is?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

2004 a6 quattro w/ 120k

Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nick l
2004 a6 quattro w/ 120k
The flashing cel is misfire 100%. Coil packs and spark plugs will most probably help that.

The smoke is either blown turbo or clogged Pcv. Is the area you live in cold? Is the car been parked in the cold?

Is the car making the dentist drill noise at any rpm?

Keep an eye on the oil. Blown turbos will consume all your oil in matter of mins. That will lead you to look for new turbos and engine.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Certified

Check the mass air flow sensor also. If oil is getting into intake it will **** off the mass air flow sensor & also cause hesitation & misfire.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

i have looked around on these forums and a few others on how to remove the spider hose to check the pcv but came up empty handed. i also couldnt find anything about breather hose removal in the Bentley manual.

if anyone reads this and knows how to get to the pcv please post instructions

Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
The flashing cel is misfire 100%. Coil packs and spark plugs will most probably help that.

The smoke is either blown turbo or clogged Pcv. Is the area you live in cold? Is the car been parked in the cold?

Is the car making the dentist drill noise at any rpm?

Keep an eye on the oil. Blown turbos will consume all your oil in matter of mins. That will lead you to look for new turbos and engine.
I live in Tx so it only gets cold over night, and not that low. I bought the car used but the car fax has it as a texas car its whole life.

I havent heard the dentist drill noise at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nick l
I live in Tx so it only gets cold over night, and not that low. I bought the car used but the car fax has it as a texas car its whole life.

I havent heard the dentist drill noise at all.
Aye, texas! i live in sugarland so I know how the weather is down here. never cold. never. lol. the pcv is located under the passenger side diverter valve.

look for small black rubber hoses.

try this as well. remove the oil cap and run the car for a bit. if it runs better its your pcv. if not then turbos are most likely the problem. make sure your oil level is where it should be.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
Aye, texas! i live in sugarland so I know how the weather is down here. never cold. never. lol. the pcv is located under the passenger side diverter valve.

look for small black rubber hoses.

try this as well. remove the oil cap and run the car for a bit. if it runs better its your pcv. if not then turbos are most likely the problem. make sure your oil level is where it should be.
i think i had too much oil... so i drained it off. but still a lot of smoke is coming from the exhaust.

not to be a moron, but i still have no idea where the pcv is or how to get to it. anyway you could take some pics?