Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T-can you drive it with "blown" turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear
Default 2.7T-can you drive it with "blown" turbos?

I've seen threads about the various symptoms of blown turbos, and the range seems to be excessive smoke to all the oil pouring out and ruining the engine. I am contemplating a long road trip (3500-4500) miles and I know there has been a slight oil leak on one of the turbos for 15-20k miles. When I started the car up this weekend (it had been sitting for about a month), I thought I could hear a very faint "dentist drill " noise. Of course, there is always bearing noise from the power steering pump and gear noise so maybe it's my imagination. However, if I am far from home and a turbo goes, is the car still driveable? I can deal with loss of power as long as I can limp home.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

It will really depend on how it fails. Also I would cross post this in the A4 forums as they are more active over there.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
It will really depend on how it fails. Also I would cross post this in the A4 forums as they are more active over there.
Jeff is right.

From my own experience, my Range Rover Sport blew the turbo while I was in Europe, but I continued driving on left lane doing about 80-90kmph. I ended up driving 430 km before taking it to the service station. One thing, I called the service station guy when I blew the turbo, and he said as long as I drive with light foot and won't press the engine too hard, I should be fine.