Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t Methanol Inj. My Experience (Good)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Default 2.7t Methanol Inj. My Experience (Good)

Let me give a little history on why i did this before i give experience/verdict:

About 2 months ago i was at the P.I.R track in Portland testing my car on the 1/4 mile. I had recently installed the Revo Stage I software with no other mods except brakes and DV's. With a slipping clutch (unable to launch properly), the best time i could get was in the low 14's. Understandably with a better clutch and response time i could have maybe scraped by with a 14 flat at maybe 100mph. What bothered me most about this time trial wasn't so much the time but the damned Heat soak problem i got in 3rd......It was really bad!!!!. On the way home (driving nicely) i blew the TBB.
I went to my local Indie Shop to get a Bi-Pipe installed , and the APR Snub mount at the same time. They actually provide really good advice, so i brought up the heat soak problem to them. They recommended Larger Intercoolers off lets say an RS4 or equivalent. I wasn't to keen with this advice because i new i would still have heat problems in 4th(maybe).
I researched different methods on-line and initially found 2 options:
1) Larger intercoolers (some say this can also cause slight boost loss)
2) Nitrous Intercooler Elements
3) Water Intercooling using headlight washers (expect rusting then failure of IC's)

Let's just say, my Fiancee was not to keen on the idea of driving with me with a potential bomb in the trunk
Option 3 is just dumb. kind of a novel idea though

Back to more research

finally found what i was looking for:
4)Methanol Inj 50/50

I was like......What the hell is that? isn't that something on a drag car or something? (alcohol)
I put much research into this as it seemed to good to be true, and i found it near impossible to find anyone with results on a 2.7T. 2 weeks later and probably 20 hours of reading articles on-line i decided to do it.
I went back to the local indie shop but they had never heard of someone doing it before (go figure). So i found a place in Portland that had experience with the "Cooling Mist" brand. Unfortunately they had never worked a 2.7T before. I took the risk and asked them to do it
i Spent $500 on the Kit (probably can get it for half the price on ebay) as i wanted high quality. And it took them 5 hours to install (incorrectly). After the incorrect install, they took it for a test drive and told me i'd love it because it's now got soooo much power it throws you back in your seat!!! Revo chip!!!!!!
I adjusted all my timing and boost with the SPS3 Controller (Revo).(i think a 100+ octane program or an equivalent software would be almost the same- if you want to buy it of course). Well you can imagine how dissapointed i was when i started pinging at high revs without any powergain. I started poking around under the hood and found the controler had no power. They used an incorrect power sourced that was millivolts!!!.
They fixed it for me.

Now i'll give you my experiences:

I've been playing with the controller for best response across the powerband. I have adjusted the Timing for octane level 100 (level 7), but i could go upto 116 (level 9) for the track. I adjusted boost to 21 (level 9). The controller is on 50% performance. The pump/controller is progressive and is set to activate at 5 lbs and be 100% at 20 lbs. I found this (after research) the best option, as i don't want to to be too aggresive when it turns on.

My car drives normal under any condition that requires no boost.... you wouldn't even know it was there. When i kick it though, HOLY GOD.....what a difference it makes. it is actually like chipping the car again. remember the smile on your face when you drove for the first time after you had it done?
It does sound different under high load. i guess it must because it burns differently.....Its not noisy, in fact it's quieter!!!! can't explain that at all.
The powergain is probably around 40 -50 HP. I'll be dynoing in about a month after i break in the new clutch(install next monday). I'll probably do one with and one without inj.

I can expect to use about one gallon on Methanol/Water mix for every tank of gas if i drive aggresively. If i don't want to spend the $2 per gallon though i could just inject water (GASP!)

So how does it work?
The water in the mist cools down the intake: Think of a swamp cooler. The heat is absorbed and the water turns to steam which clears out all deposits in the engine and helps to cool the engine (carbon deposits are a direct cause of pinging- apparently). An intercooler is only 60% efficient no matter how big and runs close to 200 C. Misting keeps temp down to around 80 -90 through the powerband. All Heat soak is diminished immediately.
The Water gives you more air: The Humid vacuum actually increases the quantity of oxygen in your intake airflow. More oxygen is good right? I think i should probably upgrade my intake though as my K&N drop in is sadly inadequate.
Methanol gives you higher octane: Ever wanted race gas that was 116 Octane? Obviously a slower burn so timing must be adjusted.
Methanol Burns cooler: It burns cooler and has less energy in it....One of the main reasons you can't buy Methanol cars. Lower MPG etc

This is my opinion and is not biased in any way. If i come across something i don't like about it i'll let you know. This kit can also pump alcohol btw for those who want a dragster.....Expect the engine to rust though.
One more note: I wouldn't reommend letting a car like this boost until you have reach engine temps of at least 100 C. This could possibly cause water to mix with the oil and would cause rusting if you imediately switch off your engine.
This can not damage the engine unless you set everything to aggresively of manage to pump in small deposits to the intake (This has a filter). I have also heard of people having problems with blowing engine: Main cause was they were using brands of Washer fluid that contained other chemicals (washer fluid = 30% methanol). Just buy the methanol from a chemical company online and mix with water.

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...controllerkit2

If you want pictures, just ask and i'll post them!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: 2.7t Methanol Inj. My Experience (Good)

I decided to upload pics anyway

The pump is hidden behind the left IC
I use the windshield washer reservoir for the Methanol mix

My Revo SPS3
[IMG]local://upfiles/34506/B7F56F91C6044C2386ECAF74C17054AA.jpg[/IMG]

The Controller
[IMG]local://upfiles/34506/61BE8FF774A34DA388A55DCCA4DBFB00.jpg[/IMG]

The Nozzle for INJ
[IMG]local://upfiles/34506/A29FAA25E805497085EE90F38F32AACF.jpg[/IMG]

The controller location (Stealth)
[IMG]local://upfiles/34506/BFC81873FAFE485BB3DF84D273825800.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.7t Methanol Inj. My Experience (Good)

I bought a meth kit from vast performance 325$ it was made for the 2.7t you can use plain washer fluid if you buy cheap brands as they tend to use more meth. you will find some with close to 50/50

I am still on duty in the navy when I gat back I am going to install mine. I know several guys that run it with great results.

you might want to talk to the guys at vast as they have a meth specific program.