Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t Oil Temp Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7t Oil Temp Problems

Hey guys. Ok i dunno whats going on with my car.

I just got it and it runs fine except a little of a rough idle. But i drove it home for the weekend and i noticed the oil temp gauge jumps around. I *Believe* that it jumps around and its a fake reading, but what happens is it will either be at the lowest mark or will be way on the right side one notch away from the red notch, but will quickly go down from that to normal running temp. I have turned it off and turned it on and it will read the right operating temp for a while and then it will randomly jump around. When i turn the engine off and then just put it to on and not actually start the car it read the right operating temp always.

So to break it down

sometimes runs at right operating temp
Sometimes will stay at the right temp then jump up and a couple minutes later will jump to the lowest temp
other times it just sits and way hot or way cold.

I dont wanna be driving this if im ruining something, but it doesnt throw alarms or anything and it does seem to jump around. So i wanna know is there a simple sensor that needs replacing or what is connected at the other end of that gauge. Do i have something serious like a failing oil pump?

thx for the help

Last edited by Plopper; 02-22-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Most likely it is your temp sensor as long as you are not low on oil. when a gauge jumps like that it is usually a bad ground. the instrument cluster could also be bad the guys at dna speedometer can fix these problems also, along with the message center that will soon go blank. its just a matter of narrowing down your problem. temp sensors can be checked with an ohm meter, if your getting erratic ohm readings from the sensor you know thats your problem. hope this helps.