Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T ownership advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.7T ownership advice

Hello, I'm buying a 2000 A6 2.7T with a 6 speed manual. This is my first audi (owned a jetta before), first turbo, first awd and first 6 speed (every other was a 5 speed). the car has 109,000 miles on it and has full service records. Now I know that it needs premium fuel but can I get away with 89 oct? It is the same price at regular where I get gas. With the turbos I know they would prob be the first to give out but what can I do to make them last longer? Ive heard people say better diverder valves and better down pipes will help. The timing belt was replaced at 58,000 miles, when should it be changed again?
Also the car need a new abs modulator and O2 sensor (dont know what one). For the abs should I buy a re man. part? new ones are like $500. Also the owner said the front pads didnt connect with the car so the brake light is on. how can I turn it off? I will post other questions later but don want to post to much at once. Thanks for any imput.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by nickb123
Hello, I'm buying a 2000 A6 2.7T with a 6 speed manual. This is my first audi (owned a jetta before), first turbo, first awd and first 6 speed (every other was a 5 speed). the car has 109,000 miles on it and has full service records. Now I know that it needs premium fuel but can I get away with 89 oct? It is the same price at regular where I get gas. With the turbos I know they would prob be the first to give out but what can I do to make them last longer? Ive heard people say better diverder valves and better down pipes will help. The timing belt was replaced at 58,000 miles, when should it be changed again?
Also the car need a new abs modulator and O2 sensor (dont know what one). For the abs should I buy a re man. part? new ones are like $500. Also the owner said the front pads didnt connect with the car so the brake light is on. how can I turn it off? I will post other questions later but don want to post to much at once. Thanks for any imput.
First keep the engine oil clean! Use the proper approved 502 00 oil & a good quality German made filter. No , Fram is not a quality filter , it does have a nice grippy stuff on the outside & not much inside.

Do not be a cheapskate & put in cheap fuel. The car will run like do do , cut down power & fuel economy due to lower octane.

As far as the timing belt , how long ago was it replaced?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^
what he said! I'm pretty sure that the engine is factory tuned for 91 octane minimum. running anything less is just going to hurt you in the long run and honestly if you are that concerned about the cost of fuel, this is not the car for you.

Read the sticky about the 2.7T at the top of this section. there is a lot of good information there. some of it leans towards performance mods but the general care stuff is really spot on.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

Sorry to be a downer but if you are concerned about $3 difference on each fill up, then you should not buy that car. It will eat you alive.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

you do not want to use anything lower than the minimum requirment 91 octane. you are just asking for a unpleasant ownership. there is usually a 30 cents gap b/w reg and premium. and i usually do full tanks fill ups and i take in about 14 gallons every fill up. that s difference of $4.20 dollars. the amount of problem it will cause will end up costing you a couple of hundreds just for parts!

as for abs if the module is bad it self the brake light will be flashing and abs will be solid. idk what hes talking about brake not connecting.

always use synthetic oil like someone said earlier vw 502. use mobile one 0w-40. great oil.

if the belt was changed at 52k i wouldnt worry about it until you reach around 120k. the belt usually requires a change every 90k or earlier. but earlier is better. lol.

those turbos are strong. dont abuse them and they will last 200k easy. there is a poll in the s4 section with people at 250k on oem turbos! use good oil and learn proper cooling and warming up methods.

downpipes will help the turbos as well.

use the 710n diverter valves if you want to upgrade them. no blow off valves or such nonsense.

also ask when the last tranny service was. the fluid is not life time.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

I'm not consirned with $3 difference in fill ups, I was just woundering if I could use 89. I got my answer. The and light is on and brake light is flashing, they got if checked out and they found the modulal was bad. But with the pads they said some wires connect to them and the pads they used didn't have the right connections. I didn't know wires connect to brake pads. Sun oil was always used, but how often should I change it? 5000 miles? What would better diverder valves do? I just read somewhere they would extend turbo life.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nickb123
I'm not consirned with $3 difference in fill ups, I was just woundering if I could use 89. I got my answer. The and light is on and brake light is flashing, they got if checked out and they found the modulal was bad. But with the pads they said some wires connect to them and the pads they used didn't have the right connections. I didn't know wires connect to brake pads. Sun oil was always used, but how often should I change it? 5000 miles? What would better diverder valves do? I just read somewhere they would extend turbo life.
I change my cars oil every 4k. Diverter valve do nothing to help the turbos life so long as they are working. If you decide to chip your car then the Diverter valve might need to be upgraded. But other wise stock is good if plan to stay stock.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

The front pad has a built-in wire that acts as a loop in a circuit. If the pad is worn beyond a certain point, then the wire is cut and the light comes on. The brake pad warning light looks something like this (O) where the parenthesis are dashed. If you have ABS light on, then it is something else like an ABS sensor or the module. Module Master can rebuild one for a couple of hundreds of dollars. The only sure way to tell is to hook it up to Vagcom, a VW/Audi specific code reader.

For your information, expect to budget an average of $150 per month on maintenance and repairs on your car. The car uses synthetic oil and 7 quarts of it. On oil and filter alone it costs $60 without the labor. For a turbo engine, I would say 4000 is a good number.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, you can use 89 octane (midrange) without any issue. The ECU will compensate by advancing the timing and you will lose some power. But I agree, you are better off sticking to 91. Having said that, my car is at 203k and I have used midrange for most of it's life. Turbos are getting old and leaking a little, but that is not due to octane.

I would suggest replacing fluids in transmission and differentials if it has not been done. Manual suggests replacing brake fluid every two years. Check into when the fuel filter, air filter, and cabin air filter were last done and take care of them if necessary.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

What kind of fluid and how much do i use for the tranny (manual). And for tbe brakes (O) symbol is on the screen as well as the abs light. For 2 different reasions.

Quick Reply: 2.7T ownership advice