Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T rough start, but idle is fine???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.7T rough start, but idle is fine???

Well a few weeks ago I noticed my car was taking longer to start....by that I mean that I was cranking the starter longer than I had in the past. Prior to this I would turn the key and the car would start in under a second, however I noticed I was having to crank it longer and longer before it would start. A few times I cranked it for a few seconds and then stopped - cranked it again and it would finally start.

Around that same time I noticed several occasions where I was at a dead stop and the engine would "hiccup" a little. It felt as if it was bucking or maybe missing a little? This would just happen once or twice a day but at the time because we had a lot of water on the roads and everything was covered with melting snow and nice I thought perhaps some water was getting into the plugs and causing one of them to misfire every now and then.....but honestly I have no idea.

More recently -primarily this week,I have noticed whenthe cardoes start it sort of stutters a little upon first starting for the first second or two with the tach showing around 300-400rpms, and then it will jump up to 1000-1200rpms and idle normally. Once started, the car runs fine.

I have not had it in to check engine codes yet, but does anyone have any ideas on this one? Could I have a bad coil pack, need new plugs, or could it possibly be a fuel issue (filter, pump etc)?

I have about 70k on the car and have owned it less than a year so I do not know the entire history.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.7T rough start, but idle is fine???

Anyone? Bueller?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

When was the last time you got a tune-up or an oil change?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Oil change was about4k ago - and I just picked up some 0W-30 Mobil 1 at Wallyworld and plan to have another one done soon (I typically go about 5k between changes since I run synthetic).

Tune up....well it hasn't had one since I have owned the car, but honestly what does a tune up even entail with these? I have a new fuel filter that I just need to find the time to get installed. I'm going to be picking up some plugs and doing that myself hopefully this weekend. I have already changed out the air filter and cabin filter, and I had the entire PCV assembly replaced recently.

What else should I worry about? Truth be told I might just have to bite the bullet and have the stealership scan it for codes. My indy shop has done a fairly good job thus far, but I'm always left wondering what their real knowledge level of Audis is.