Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T Turbos - When do they kick in

Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7T Turbos - When do they kick in

Hi,

I've just had a cam shaft replaced (not cheap) and got the car back today only to have more expensive problems. The garage say that one of the turbo's is making a noise and will probably fail soon. I have only driven it about 10 miles, but the noise is coming in bang on 2k Revs which I think is too early for the turbo's (or could they still make noise at these rev's?). I'm under the impression that they are not 2 stage and both come in at about 4k Rev's, can any one cimfirm this? Also if anyone knows the procedure in replacing a cam shaft could tell me if there is any chance that the work carried out could have caused this damage as it wasn't there when I took the car in. I know it's impossible to say for definate I would just appriciate you views.

Cheers
Charlie

Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: 2.7T Turbos - When do they kick in

What's the year and mileage on your car?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

it is 2001 model and its done 45k

Old 06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I've just taken it back to the garage today to get a light that came on looked at. They plugged in the scanner and found that it was miss firing down the right hand side which is the side they replaced the cam shaft. They also said it could be the coils or plugs but they would look at it and give me a ring. I'm a bit suspicious about this and would appreciate anyones views.

Cheers
Charlie

Old 06-11-2006, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

Why did the cam need to be replaced? Never seen that before. My guess is that they dropped a nut or something into the intake for the turbo. 2k is about when they start to kick in. To get the valve cover off you have to take off the y pipe from the airbox to the turbos. Which leaves two big holes for stuff to fall into the turbos. Always gotta put rags in there so stuff doesnt fall in. I also suspect they damaged the coils during removal. Seems very odd these two problems would show up right after they fixed the head.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:42 PM

replaced the cam shaft and now you have bigger problems?? did they replace it can they show you the old one??? what exactly was wrong with the old cam shaft and why didn't they explain it to you, too many unanswered questions here I personally think your getting shafted by that garage, a misfire leave a fault code ask them what it was and any other codes the neglected to tell you before they started dipping into your wallet

Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

The reason they had to replace the camshaft is because one of the lobes had become very rounded on the end, and they did show me this while they had part of the engine stripped down. They say now that the noise and miss firing is due to a sensor which they need to replace. However they have had it in now about a week and still not managed to replace this faulty sensor. I'm not very happy at all and from what they have said to me i'd imagine they are going to charge me.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

more than likely they put the cam in out of time and are now getting camshaft pos. sensor codes, and they think the camshaft pos. sensor is bad when really the timing is out causing misfires on every cylinder on that bank. why do i think this? b/c ive done it before except i immediately checked my timing and found it was off.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

I spoke with the garage a couple of days ago to find out the part number for this sensor, and they gave some bullsh** excuse about the supplier not sending the right part so they have had to send the faulty one off, which means they dont know the part number. However they did tell me that it was a trust sensor if that means anything to anyone. They have now rung me today and said they replaced the sensor and the car ran perfect for 5 minutes with no lights coming on then it all went wrong again. Their story is now that the ECU is screwed and its going to cost me big bucks to get it repaired.

I would appreciate anyones views.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

Charlie

Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

you need to get your car the heck out of there. ecm is the last thing that would cause misfires like they are describing. take it to someone who knows what they are doing and explain to them that they replaced the cam and now it misfires on that side of the engine