Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7tt problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7tt problems

Hey guys i am new to this forum but i was just wondering if u guys think i made a good buying decision. I got an audi a6 2.7tt 6 speed with 131k miles for 7 grand and it has had all the scheduled matenence including timing belt and has a new clutch. It is in really good shape but the bad thing is that im only 15 and if anything goes on the car im gonna have trouble repairing it without borrowing money from my parents. I paid half for the car so im not some spoiled rich kid im just really into cars and i wanted an e36 m3 or an s4 but my parents said those were to fast so i got the a6 because they didnt think it was as fast. I got it because my parents have a 2009 a6 and im in love with it. But anyways the only mods im going to do is an apr chip and i might lower it a little but i just wanted to know how long you guys think the turbos will hold up for.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Connor Schleicher
... i was just wondering if u guys think i made a good buying decision...It is in really good shape but the bad thing is that im only 15 and if anything goes on the car im gonna have trouble repairing it without borrowing money from my parents.
This tells me you did not make the best decision. Sure this is a great car, don't get me wrong and I love mine also but without money for repairs you are looking for trouble. A 10 year old luxury car requires more maintenance then a 2009 like your parents car. However if you are good with a wrench or willing to learn you can save a lot of money by buying parts online (not from the dealer) and use your own time instead of paying for labor (labor usually runs you about 1/3 up to 1/2 of the costs!) Still you paid 7k for the car but it still requires maintenance like a 50k car keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by Connor Schleicher
But anyways the only mods im going to do is an apr chip and i might lower it a little but i just wanted to know how long you guys think the turbos will hold up for.
Tuning your car does not only make the car faster it also breaks it faster. All the parts are designed to have a maybe 10%-15% tolerance. You start tuning and you reach that 10% easily with a chip and you will have to replace more then just the turbos. Search through the forum and you will find a bunch of people who had to replace all kinds of stuff around the steering, clutch and transmission so the car can handle the extra power without snapping something.
Looking at your previous statement I would not recommend tuning this car unless you get a good paying job to pay for everything that starts falling apart.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^
pretty much all this

Wilkommen to the forums.

be sure to read the stickies and spend lots of time in the A6 section. you should probably just forget the chip for now. maintenance maintenance maintenance.

good luck

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

thank you very much guys i am going to hold off on all performance modifications. I am pretty decent with a wrench and i can do all the work i need to do at my schools automotive shop. I know i might not have made the right buying desision but I have a couple grand set aside if anything goes on it and im going to absolutly baby the car i just got it because i didnt want another wrx or a4 like everyone else at my school i wanted to be different and i fell in love with driving the car i like it much better than the m3 i drove and i like in nh and the winters are pretty rough and the quattro is great in the snow

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear

Well that sounds much better then your initial post .. Congrats to your new wife -
you will love her;she will love you back; she will max out your CC's and hold up her hand for more money; she will yell at you at times and will not want to get up but in the end you both will enjoy the ride.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
you both will enjoy the ride.
Shhhh, you can't say that to a 15 year old, lol!

You'll love the A6. Mine had all the maintenance done too, but I'm in it almost a grand on more maintenance. It is what it is...I wanted a nice European car

Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Read through the sticky and FAQ posts in the S car forum too - there's quite a bit of info on the 2.7T there. It's probably the most maintenance-intensive engine Audi ever put in one of its cars, so keep adding money to the savings. That two grand and more can be gone in one shot. It's a great car though and you will love it, it's just more demanding than most.