Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Audi a6 2.7t ECU/ECM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi a6 2.7t ECU/ECM Replacement

Hi there, apparently my ECM died on me and I need a replacement. I have a 2000 a6 2.7T tiptronic. I'm looking for a new/used ECM but the part number on mine is 4B0 997 551 MX and I can't seem to find one that matches. Are there other ECMs that I can swap into my car. The dealer also told me that the ECM would have to be recoded by them. Is there any truth in this or will the ecu from any 2.7t c5 fit in my car? I'm stuck without a car right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Okay, apparently the part number the dealer gave me (4B0 997 551 MX) is the newest rebuilt ECU that the dealer would put in. Does anyone know what the older part number would be. Apparently it would be 4B0-907-551L or 4B0-907-551C. Does anyone know which it would be? My car is a tiptronic 2000 a6 2.7T.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Try Shokan.com and give them a call they sell used Audi parts. I have used them before and they are very professional.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

I have the exact same car and while it is dark out right now and I don't feel like opening up the ECM plastic container, I have an old ECM that has part number 4B0-907-551 L. I don't want to part with it just yet, so I agree with Jackmup. Shokan.com is an excellent place to get another ECM. If your going to have the dealer install it (I think the operation is too easy for that), and you have the above part number don't let him tell you it still needs recoding. The reason I have two is because I bought one second-hand with a GIAC chip already attached so all I had to do was swap out the original for the upgrade. That proves that as long as you have the same part number, the ECM is interchangeable.

Don't hold me to this but there might be differences in the ECM, depending on what part of the year 2000 it was made. As far as I know the only change to the A6 C5 that year was bigger diameter shocks, but their could have been others such as to the ECM. I can't say from experience since I don't know when in 2000 mine was made. Not something to worry about too much; very unlikely that the ECM was changed, just a small heads up.

I hate being without a car myself. I learned that when my torque converter needed repairing and I was missing my Audi for a whole month due to complications that happened in the process. It's why I bought a cheap Audi 4000S. Jackmup has the good fortune to have two excellent cars, but if you can't afford that, you can always do what I did, unless you don't mind mooching off your friends for rides.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

atmetal8472, thanks for the heads up. I got the same ECU that was originally in my car. I'll see if the dealer will give me a few minutes with my car to swap the ECUs. If that doesn't work I'll just let them do it because this is my second year of law school, I have two exams on Wednesday and I've already been relying on friends for rides for the last week. I've been trying to avoid renting a car, even though it's not that expensive, but I don't want to rely on anyone to give me a ride to my exams. So, I could rent a car and figure it out myself or just pay the dealer and get my car back tomorrow. As much as I want to do it myself I just don't have the time right now. Again, thanks for the heads up and I'll let you guys know what happened just in case someone runs into a similar problem later on down the road. Hopefully, it will help someone out.