Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 2.7T Drivers Door Wont Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 2.7T Drivers Door Wont Open

Hello,

Recently I have been having some trouble with my drivers side door. When I went out to my car yesterday morning after it had been snowing the night before everything unlocked alright but when I get in and try to close the door, it wont shut. After waiting a little and attempting to close it a few times I get it to shut. Then after I try to get out, the door doesn't want to open at all. I hit the unlock and lock buttons on the inside a number of times and it eventually came open. The same thing happened later that day where the door wouldn't shut, and after closing it a few times I eventually got it to shut, but now I can't get my drivers door back open at all. I'm thinking it has something to do with the cold and ice being in the door but I'm not 100% certain.

The lock goes up and down and it sounds like the door is unlocking but it won't open from inside OR outside handles. When locked, if i open the handle from the inside it still unlocks the door but the door wont open at all. And when I pull on the handles from either inside or outside, it feels like the door is open already, like the handles have little effort compared to the other 3 doors.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I don't want to have to wait until the doors thaw out cause that could be weeks in this cold weather and I don't have anyplace indoors that I could store it.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear

From your description of the "sounds", it sounds like the lock mechanism is working correctly. While it is possible that moisture has gotten into the mechanism and iced up, it is just a likely the lube has hardened in the cold weather. The easiest, cheapest fix is to douche the lock mechanism with some WD-40 or silicone spray. Also, while the door is open, observe the lock mechanism move as you cycle through locking/unlocking with the switch and with the handles themselves. Make sure everything moves as expected.