Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Ignition switch DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear
Default 2001 A6 Ignition switch DIY

I know this is a DIY but I wanted to share the symptom. So I post it on the A6 section. (Sorry I don't have any pictures)

Well I went out to my car yesterday afterwork. Door opens fine, insert the key, turn the key, and nothing... All the instrument lights are on, radio is on, volt meter is reading 12V, headlight turns on, and everything else works except the starter. I don't hear any relays clicking, or anything. Just a silence. I had a similar experience with my old Chevy, so I figure I replace the ignition switch before towing and taking it to a shop and all that. I do a little web searching and the switch itself is $30 or so. But sinceI need to fix it right away I give a local stealer a call. $95 plus tax... So I give in to the stealer and replace the switch, and voila, I drove the car home at 8 pm. Anyways, here is a DIY.

NOTE: My car came from the factory with an Immobilizer delete option. Although doubtful, the audi parts guy indicated that by removing the ignition switch, it may mess with your immobilizer system. I am not sure whether this is the case or not, but you are on your own on this one.

Tools needed:
- T25 and T30 torx bit drivers
- Allen key set(Hex bit)
- Philips screw driver
- Small flathead screw driver
- M12 Triple Square Driver (**** german engineers don't want you to work on your car)

Parts needed:
- Ignition switch Part no. 4B0905849

Proceedure:

1. Disconnect the battery! I disconnected both the positive and negative terminals.
2. Unscrew (2) T30 screws at the rear of the steering wheel. It is easier if you use torx screw driver with a narrow shaft, because the holes for the torx scres are small.
3. Now carefully pull the airbag off. There is a yellow safety connector at the rear of the airbag. Pull the tab and disconnect the airbag.
4. Follow the airbag wire. There is another yellow connector going into the steering column. Disconnect the connector.
5. Now mark the location of your steering wheel relative to the steering column. I used two pieces of tape.
6. Undo the M12 triple square bit bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. (Damn the Audi engineers. A set of this bit type with (4) bits were $18!)
7.Now pull the steering wheel off.
8. Flip down the steering wheel adjuster lever. The handle is held by 2 hex bit bolts. Undo the screws and remove the handle.
9. Where the steering wheel adjuster lever was, there is a T25screw holding the bottom steering column cover. Remove the screw. You can't remove the cover yet.
10. In front of the steering column, there are (2) philips screws. Also there are (2) more screws at the bottom of the column cover. Remove these (4) screws and now you can remove the both top and bottom covers.
11. When removing the bottom cover, take note of the steering column adjuster lever. It needs to clear the cover while coming out.
12. Now you should see the ignition switch and the tumbler itself. Disconnect the wiring portion of the ignition with by simply pulling on it.
13. There are (2) small flathead screws holding the ignition switch. The screw heads are actually coated with red wax type seal. Simple scratch off the wax and remove the screws. You can now remove the ignition switch.
14. Insert new ignition switch. Ihad to insertthe key in the tumbler and wiggle it as I inserted the new ignition switch to seat properly.
15. Reverse thesteps. But after you put the steering column covers back on, make sure the entire column adjust fine without catching on something. I had to disassemble the whole thing because it caught on some wire and was not adjusting.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

nice write up im not sure if my 99 has this immobilizer your talking about how i find out

Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

99 does NOT have immobilizer. It was standard starting on 01 model, except mine had a weird option of deleting the immobilizer.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
99 does NOT have immobilizer. It was standard starting on 01 model, except mine had a weird option of deleting the immobilizer.
ok thanx