Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Quattro 2.8 rough at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8 rough at Idle

Hello everyone I hope you are all doing great,
Im a bit stuck with a problem let me give you a bit of a history on the car:

Car has been with me for about 2 and half years, over that period of time I had replaced a series of things , full set of breaks including disk, new tires and lastly an Alternator, about 2 months ago my car got hit pretty bad while it was parked outside the house, (Chicago drivers are terrible) after being in the shop for the repairs I took the car home and on my way I noticed a very rough Idle this was last week, since then I went over to autozone and had them run their computer on my car , the codes given were position camshaft sensor , multiple misfires, cyl 4,5,6 , I since have replaced the spark plugs , and the oil vapor hose on the motor as it broke as soon as I touch it same with the antifreeze T connector and Solenoid hoses, as well as the drivers side camshaft PS, car still runs rough when Idle to my surprise how ever there is no noticeable loss in power when driving, I also when I went back to Autozone the codes are still in there, Im I supposed to clear the codes somehow ? also I noticed that when I pulled the spark plugs off on the driver side they were soaked in oil, could this be the cause of why Im getting the misfires on that side?

Last edited by komprezzor; 05-04-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

updated description of problem

Old 05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Yes, you need to actively clear the codes for them to disappear. The oil soak is from a leaking valve cover gasket and will absolutely cause your rough idle. Change the VC gaskets on both sides (the other is likely leaking as well), and clean the wire boots thoroughly. Pull the plugs, clean them and the bored as well as possible. Reassemble and you should be good to go.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yes, you need to actively clear the codes for them to disappear. The oil soak is from a leaking valve cover gasket and will absolutely cause your rough idle. Change the VC gaskets on both sides (the other is likely leaking as well), and clean the wire boots thoroughly. Pull the plugs, clean them and the bored as well as possible. Reassemble and you should be good to go.
Thank you very much for the reply, I will post an update once I had change the gaskets!!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

I had to give up, and took the car over to my Mechanic, he diagnosed the missfires as soon as he heard it, he said it was the Camshaft Chain Tensioner, I was a bot skeptical but guess what , he showed me the [art the plastic was gone on and the chain was rubbing metal to metal, I got the car back today he replaced the gaskets as well and he mentioned that one of the screws holding the tensioner broke inside it took him a few hours to get the screw out but a last Im happy to get the car back lesson learned only a rich man throws parts at the car in my case with very little knowledge , how ever after changing the camshafts ps, the spark wires, the coil pack the car is running extremely nice!!
thanks for all of your help
!!