Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Timing belt failure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 Timing belt failure.

Heres a little story about my brother in laws A6 4.2L Quattro he purched last year.. He was stationed in Iraq and would be home soon. He had no car at the time and started to look when he had the time. he came across a 2001 Audi A6 4.2L Quattro. according to the ad it just had new tires out on the oil was changed and the engine had been serviced. this car has 157,000 miles on it. he talked to the owner a few times and decieded to get the vehicle. as soon as his parents went to get the car the owner did not want to meet anyone he just left the car in a lot with the keys in it and title work done and signed off on his side (something dont sound right...) as soon at the car was started it and put into drive it did not want to move. called the now old wner and he said it was in a limp home mode and was a bad sensor but as soon as you got on the highway it would go away and drive fine (thats not limp home mode thats a bad transmission) long story short they got the car home and it was a wreck. tires were bald and sidewallas bubbled. front axle boots torn on the inner and outer boots. front brakes were down to metal on metal with the sensors unplugged. it was very easy to tell the trasmission was bad i could smell the burnt clutch disks from down the street. Me being the nice guy I am and being a technician fixed everything except the transmission (needed a transmission shop for that one) after i got that all finished my brother in law returned home. I explained everything that was wrong and that i fixed he couldnt believe me and was mad that someone screwed him over so badly. about a month after he came home he called me saying that the engine was running pretty bad i told hime to get to my house asap. on his way to take his mom home the engine stalled and would not fire back up. off to the rescue i go.... got there checked fuel checked spark all that was good and then it started to rain so we called a flatbed to take it to my shop. after about 5 more minutes at the shop i removed the cover on the cam gear and when the crank spun the cams did not. OH FUN!!!! after a few days my brother in law decided to fix the car. we priced out the timing belt components then i dropped the bomb that he may have bent valves and the top end of the engine might need to be rebuilt. well that was the case. he has the 4.2L 40 Valve engine and we had 13 bent valves! we removed everything down to the block inspected the pistons thank god there was no damage to them. we also found the cam chain tensioner on the driver side head had broke and the plastic guide shattered. while the heads were at the machine shop i removed the oil pan and the pickup screen was almost completly block with plastic debris. after getting the heads back the bill really rose from their. got to the oint of needing to set the timming belt on and no place around me had the tool for aligning the cams in the proper places before instalation of thte belt. so we did out best to get it on one side at a time. belt on tensioner pin pulled we rotated the engine crank twice and the timing was dead on!!! we got lucky in my opinion. then we decieded to set the cradle assembly on the car and start he up before we put evertything back together and something be wrong. car started and knocked like crazy until the hydraulic lifters pumped up then she smoothed right out and ran like new. We finished putting the front end together topped off with new oil and drove her out of the shop. what a fantastic feeling when you fix something and id runs perfectly. i do have pictures will work on uploading them shortly.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

pictures

Attached Thumbnails 2001 A6 Timing belt failure.-photo-1.jpg   2001 A6 Timing belt failure.-photo-2.jpg   2001 A6 Timing belt failure.-photo-3.jpg   2001 A6 Timing belt failure.-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBosO_fFYM

here is a video of the first start after its together. ill get the rest of the pictures up asap.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Pictures

Attached Images      
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

pictures

Attached Images      
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

more pictures

Attached Images