Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 - Headlight questions - new car to us

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 - Headlight questions - new car to us

First post (probably of many) so please be patient.

Just bought the wife a 2002 A6 Quattro 4.2 (135,000 miles) There are a number of things I have already fixed and a number of things to go.....

I would call myself a reasonably competent mechanic having own a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE, a couple of Lola Sports 2000's and worked on Formula Atlantics and others.

The passenger side headlight is properly positioned / aimed....drivers side is down. My understanding is that they should adjust as suspension changes / loading occurs through sensors sensing ride height. We put three people in the trunk (boot open of course) to cause rear sag....no changes. There is no headlight movement / adjustment upon starting. I checked the 5 amp fuse for the motor control and it is fine. The left headlight assembly appears to have been replaced as it looks like new and much clearer than the passenger side.

The question(s): Where is the best shop manual found (I'm watching eBay - ordered DVD manual which didn't load)?

Am I correct in the above paragragh relative to operation?

Where specifically are the sensors for ride height (it would be nice to have the shop manual) and how would I test functionality?

Thanks!!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear

-The best manual write up I can think of is: Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

You are correct when it comes to the auto adjustment of the headlights. And the sensor are on a control arm. Take the wheel off and look for a little plastic arm similar to this one (http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/BM...05_sensor2.jpg) - sorry couldn't find one from an Audi.

Here is also a write up on a VW, which is similar (but def. not exactly the same!) to our car: VWVortex.com - Aiming Headlights

I'm sure if you search around more you will also find one for an Audi C5 but I'm not willing to search around too long now.

Also check that Fuse 10 is working properly since I think to recall that is the fuse for the check headlight adjustment light.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Sheldon!..... I did check the fuse first thing but it wasn't the issue. The headlights are truly a pain to get out. I thought I saw somewhere that taking off the front bumper skin was the only easy way to get the assembly out.