AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   2002 Audi A6 2.7L belt tensioner pulley (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/2002-audi-a6-2-7l-belt-tensioner-pulley-226925/)

wprobasco 01-13-2018 04:59 PM

2002 Audi A6 2.7L belt tensioner pulley

I am new to this (and any forum, for that matter), so I am not quite sure how this all works, but I have a problem with which I need some help. My wife's car (2002 Ausi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo) has thrown the serpentine belt and the culprit seems to be a bad pulley (pretty obvious, as bearing is totally GONE) on the tensioner. At least I think it is the tensioner pulley. I have three questions; 1) does anyone have a picture of the front of the engine showing the serpentine belt and all pulleys, 2) If this pulley is the bad one, can it be replaced without removing the front of the car and/or fan and 3) what is the best way to go about this repair. Thank you for your help!

I have found that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley has catastrophically failed. Can this be replaced without removing the tensioner from the engine? If not, it looks like a &!^(# of a job.

wprobasco 01-31-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by wprobasco (Post 1516584)
I am new to this (and any forum, for that matter), so I am not quite sure how this all works, but I have a problem with which I need some help. My wife's car (2002 Ausi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo) has thrown the serpentine belt and the culprit seems to be a bad pulley (pretty obvious, as bearing is totally GONE) on the tensioner. At least I think it is the tensioner pulley. I have three questions; 1) does anyone have a picture of the front of the engine showing the serpentine belt and all pulleys, 2) If this pulley is the bad one, can it be replaced without removing the front of the car and/or fan and 3) what is the best way to go about this repair. Thank you for your help!

I have found that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley has catastrophically failed. Can this be replaced without removing the tensioner from the engine? If not, it looks like a &!^(# of a job.

I have found on further inspection, that the fastener for the tensioner pulley is on the back of the tensioner arm. Great idea, Audi! So, bottom line is you absolutely have to take off the entire belt tensioner assembly to change the pulley which requires you to place the front section of the car in the "service" position (REALLY STUPID DESIGN!). In doing so you might just as well change the entire tensioner assembly.

randyladwig 04-24-2019 09:57 PM

Just (as in 5 min ago) did the one on my 2001 A4 2.8 liter. I had to remove the electric fan and mount from the fan shroud. This was the only way for clearance for tools and removal.

vwcentral 05-02-2019 05:39 AM

VW Central is the best website which provided us all types of car automotive. If you are lost some parts own car don't worry you can buy our online store in Australia. Shop our Audi, Volkswagen, Shop Mercedes Benz Parts Online from VWCentral to increase your vehicle’s efficiency. We carry a great selection of cold air intake kit, inlet pipes, exhaust systems and many more. For more information please visit our website:- https://vwcentral.com.au/

Randy Ladwig 07-09-2019 06:37 PM

P.S. I removed the intake (which is different than the A6) and had direct access to the 1 screw that holds the electric fan. Remove the fan with a small twist and pull. Once this is removed there is plenty of room to get tools in there to remove the tensioner. No need for the front end to be put in "service mode".

vwcentral 07-10-2019 01:37 AM

VW Central is the best Automotive car industry. Which provided us all types Automotive car parts.VW Central is a premier supplier of car parts & can perform any repair you need. Buy Audi, Volkswagen & Mercedes Benz Spare Parts from our online store in Australia.