Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Audi A6 2.7T Deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 Audi A6 2.7T Deal

Hi I am purchasing a used 2002 audi a6 2.7t quattro AWD which is of clean title. and it ran around 89,000miles. The owner replaced with new tires, new brakes. And the car has 6 cylinder turbo engine. Automatic transmission with tiptronic, leather interior, Bose sound system, Fully Loaded. He is asking $8600.

Is it a good deal ?
What is the life of audi?
When has to change timing belt, and transmission?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM
3rd Gear

I understand the whole appeal of the 2.7T, with its power and all the hoopla.
However, do ask yourself first: can I afford to buy a car on which I need to pull the whole engine out if either just one, or both turbos are going out?
Can I afford at the dealer $ 3-5000 in the event that happens, or do I have the confidence I can get through such a problem wrenching may way out of it alone?
I personally would not buy a turboed car unless the turbo rests at the top of the engine, or I feel like being a financial kamikaze once in a life time.
Having said that, I think the car is a bit overpriced. If the TB hasn't been changed already, it should be done at 105 k miles, along with the tensioner. The car is overpriced a bit. $ 6500-7000 would probably be a more acceptable range (check the prices). Out of curiosity, if it ISN'T A MANUAL then why the attraction for the turboed model?

These cars can last as long as other brands (250-300k miles) if taken good care of, but you'll always have maintenance issues. Things start to loosen up and age faster than in other cars due to WEIGHT issues.
Good luck.

Last edited by chefro; 04-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

The turbos will, if proper oil is used and changed regularly, last the life of the engine. AS Chefro eluded to, the rest of the car will not.

Having watched the prices of our cars (I have an '02 2.7t tip as well) for some time, I have noticed that the prices have gone up in the past year. But, so has the price of used cars in general due to the Cash for Clunkers destruction of perfectly good cars and lack of new car sales over the past two years. Any student of economic history will tell you that this is a normal phenomenon during a depression. So, where that car was once a $6,000 car, it is now an $8,000 car.

Having said all that, the cost of an A6 is the cost of ownership, not just the cost of purchase. An Audi is NOT a Toyota. It is at the opposite end of the reliability spectrum. Audi's are expensive to maintain and require fiarly regular maintenance. Be prepared to work on the car yourself or to keep buying the car every few months. A new car is, in comparison, a better deal.

So, the price is around the going rate. Be prepared for the high maintenance. Read the forums to get a feel for the problems you will be encountering.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Google search Audi specialized indepedent shop in your area. Call for pre-purchase inspection appointment. It should cost between $80 - $120 range.

They should be able to give you good idea if the target car has clean bill of health. If it does not then they can give you estimate of how much for repair / replacement the problematic stuffs so you can make decision of buy or not, or negotiate price down due to repair cost.

This is to avoid big surprise after purchase, re engine & tranmission & CEL problems.