Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A6 Allroad cutting out

Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A6 Allroad cutting out

evening all, first post from a new member with a problem etc....
2003 A6 Allroad 2.5TDi V6 (AKE engine, C5 body)
for the last 2-3 days (now the weather is hotter) my A6 Allroad has been cutting out. At idle it sits at about 850rpm, then starts hunting, feel like it's developing a misfire and eventually cuts out. It will also do it when i'm changing gear down (but then of course i let the clutch up and it bump starts again) so it's a bit worrying as the power steering dies until the engine starts again.

This i noticed tonight and strikes me as odd - the damn car doesn't do it if i turn the climate control unit off, no hunting, no cutting out...

I was thinking diesel injector causing a misfire at low throttle that's just enough to stall her

Now with the climate control thing i'm not so sure... electrical overload?? (aircon works fine BTW, beautifully cold)

I was also wondering about the EGR system being gummed up and the extra load from the aircon is just enough to make her trip up a bit..

What parts are involved in the EGR - i'm pretty competent with sockets and spanners etc.. by all my confidence is on petrol engine (i understand how they work, and this is my 4th diesel, but the first that's gone wrong!!)

any suggestions gratefully received - though if you do mention a part please also say where it is - i took the engine cover off and there's all sorts of odd looking bits under there..

cheers all

jim

(also posted in the allroad forum)