Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A6 4.2L with "Ka-Chunk" when stopping???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Exclamation 2004 A6 4.2L with "Ka-Chunk" when stopping???

Mornin/Afternoon/Evening,
I really could use some good sound advice.

Recently I was in need of some front brakes. I thought that was causing the "Ka-Chunk" thing when I come to a stop. It is as if the transmission doesn't get the word, "Hey we are stopping for the RED sign".

I noticed yesterday, that if I coast and gradually apply the brakes...no "Ka-Chunk".

Oh and this morning while attempting a "Hook-Slide" in the Parking Garage at 3MPH. When I turned the stiring-wheel. It "Ca-Ca-Ca-Chunked"...

I called my pit guy and inquired about a transmission flush, but he said that it is a sealed system and needs to be done by the Stealership...lol...sorry...dealership.

Last edited by Slow-Poke_4.2; 08-13-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Too much Blau-Blau-Bl...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear

How many miles? Quattro?

Here's some ideas;

Make sure the front wheels are tight!

Check the front CV joints. first inspect the boots for tears and or leakage (greasy). next nail it from a stop and listen for clicking. If it clicks than one or both are shot.

Check your struts as you come to a stop you put down force on the front end then once stopped it rebounds back up could be one of those. Try opening the hood and push down on the strut (don't push the fender you might dent it)

check all other CV joints for seepage (front is the first go)

The transmission is a sealed unit but the fluid and filter needs to be changed at or about 90K. HOWEVER it needs to be constantly inspected for leaks and "Topped off" as you go I would check it yourself for leaks, often. If you see signs of a leak or seepage get the trany to a knowledgeable professional.

That said I have done both mine with alot of coaching and it is very difficult to do. Here is what you need to know.

A) If your mechanic even had the brains to do it he would never say it is sealed and can't be done.

B) It really needs to be cold to be properly filled if you are up North leave it over night on a cooler evening. Down South the best you will be able to do is top it off and redo it this fall when the temp goes below 70 at night.

The fluid is checked at 30 degrees Celsius so if the transmission is warmer than that you will not be able to check it that way and in that case (it needs some right now) you will need to tip the car forward.

So here it is.

You or they will need to start off with a cold car in the AM with the filter and gasket and liters (in case you spill some) of fluid in hand.Put the car in the AIR drop the fluid clean the pan and change the filter. Replace the gasket and reinstall the pan. Warm the replacement fluid to 30C or a Little less but no more. Fill the pan with the VAG gravity feed tool until it just starts to drip out. Hook a VAG-COM to the car have some one monitor it for you and start it, run it through each gear for ten seconds while the gravity feed tool is on filling the transmission again (because now the trany is sucking up fluid). When the transmission temp hits 40C fluid should start to leak out reinstall the plug before it hits 45C. Done Keep in mind during the topping off measuring part you are under the car with it running so if it is on Jack stands you will need someone to monitor the laptop(Vag-Com) for you..

If you screw it up along the way and it gets too hot you must wait till it cools and start the top off procedure all over again or you risk under filling it.

When it is all done if you hear whining as it shifts it is under filled add more immediately.

IF the mechanic you hire to do the job does not explain it like that then LEAVE. Audi did mine wrong that is the kind of PITA it is. So find someone good.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

CV joints, Strut bearings, Ball Joints, Control arms...and, new mechanic.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Default Tanxz...

Excellent call Jack! Passenger side looks like a FREAKIN...and the drivers side looks like another freakin...LOL

Tthe other test was not as obvious. When I punched and hit 6.5MPH in a underground parking garage...delay...then ****** to 10 MPH??? This feels sort of normal to me, because it has always had too much play in it?

My concern is that it maybe the transmission. I am no hypocrite, but I have been known to kill a tranny! My bestest car in the entire "UNIVERSE"...... 2000 Volvo V70 XC AWD...with a second mortgage full of garbage screwed, bolted, glued and taped on...Tranny Ka-Put...

I am making a appointment at AAMCO. If i can't find a guy, that knows a guy...

Thank you for your excellent assistance...