Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A6 -- I want an aftermarket stereo, what fits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A6 -- I want an aftermarket stereo, what fits?

Hi

I just bought a 2004 A6 Avant with the Bose sound system and 6 CD changer.

I'd like to put a GPS in dash nav, with iPhone hookup (for talking handsfree and to use its iPod functionality). I want to be able to use the steering wheel controls for music volume, changing songs in playlist.

I'd also like rear view backup camera.

I checked Crutchfield and they recommend two receivers and they were expensive (especially for the add-ons). They didn't show any 2 DIN receivers as being compatible. Is that true? It would be nice if the screen didn't flip put but rather sat flush with the trim.

Also, Crutchfield included - with the $499 Jensen receiver - a backup camera and a piece of plastic that, as far as I can tell, only makes the new receiver look better once installed. Is this part needed, or does it look fine?

Are there any alternative receivers that will work with this car (preferably one where the screen doesn't flip out)?

Also, do I need Bluetooth for the Jensen receiver to use my iPhone, or can the phone be plugged in, without using Bluetooth, via a J link USB cable (that will also charge the phone while in use-- this is VERY important as the iPhone battery dies quickly)?

Finally, any recommendations for where to shop that is cheaper than Crutchfield? I priced out what Crutchfield said I needed via Google and it was $200 cheaper than Crutchfield for everything except the plastic dash kit, which Crutchfield charges $40 for and I'm not sure if it'll look any different if I don't use it.

And as an aside, if I bought a cheap GPS unit and decided against wanting a rear camera could I use my cell phone through the Bose speakers and use the iPhone (or a USB stick) to play music, while using the car's controls, most importantely on the steering wheel? This seems like it would be a lot cheaper.

Thank you!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

seems like you want quite a bit. Anyway, I'm no expert and I am still rocking my stock Symphony II radio but I will share with you what I *think* I know:

Any double DIN receiver will fit, however, the opening in the dash is not quite a double DIN size, that is why you absolutely need the plastic trim piece, to hold the receiver properly and to cover the opening where it doesn't exactly fit.

You will also need a specific wiring harness adapter to make the plugs in the aftermarket receiver compatible with the existing wiring harness, unless of course you are going to run all new wires and/or cut and paste. Depending on the adapter and the capabilities of the receiver will determine whether or not your steering wheel controls still function properly.

It seems like you are trying to get as much as you possibly can for as little money as possible. I empathize with your situation, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I would suggest that your best option to get everything you want is to seek out a sound system installation expert in your area. I don't mean the salesdroids at the local Best Buy either. It will definitely be an expensive proposition based on your needs but you will probably save yourself significant headache in the long run.

just mho

tl;dr hire a professional

Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. So, is this radio one din or two? It looks like one, because an LCD screen comes out... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM94...=detailed_info

Why won't any 2 DIN receivers fit in the car? I just want to make sure I have all the options possible... (two options doesn't seem like a lot).

I plan to have a professional install the system, I just wanted to make sure I had all my options.

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
seems like you want quite a bit. Anyway, I'm no expert and I am still rocking my stock Symphony II radio but I will share with you what I *think* I know:

Any double DIN receiver will fit, however, the opening in the dash is not quite a double DIN size, that is why you absolutely need the plastic trim piece, to hold the receiver properly and to cover the opening where it doesn't exactly fit.

You will also need a specific wiring harness adapter to make the plugs in the aftermarket receiver compatible with the existing wiring harness, unless of course you are going to run all new wires and/or cut and paste. Depending on the adapter and the capabilities of the receiver will determine whether or not your steering wheel controls still function properly.

It seems like you are trying to get as much as you possibly can for as little money as possible. I empathize with your situation, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I would suggest that your best option to get everything you want is to seek out a sound system installation expert in your area. I don't mean the salesdroids at the local Best Buy either. It will definitely be an expensive proposition based on your needs but you will probably save yourself significant headache in the long run.

just mho

tl;dr hire a professional

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

If you plan to have a profession do the installation work, you should discuss your needs with the professional who will help you with the decision.

Also, try the Sounds section of these forums.

Bob

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
If you plan to have a profession do the installation work, you should discuss your needs with the professional who will help you with the decision.

Also, try the Sounds section of these forums.

Bob
I wanted to order it ahead of time, because the place I'll have it done won't have this kind of stuff in stock and I can't wait forever.