Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A6 3.2 Quattro cold start problems

Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro cold start problems

I am a noob to Audi so I apologize for any pertinent info missing in my post(s). Schoool me to any etique if necessary.

My Audi A6 has started having problems starting cold. If it sits for a day without starting it up, it will not start at all. After I jump it, it says the battery is completely dead but, i have replaced that 3 times now and it's still doing the same thing. However, once its started, it doesn't do it again until it sits for a day.

I took it to the dealership and they said nothing came up as bad on the dignostics so, at this point I have no clue what the issue could be. Has anyone ever seen this and/or know what it takes to fix it?

Your help will be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

What's etique?

Does the car crank over after sitting for a few days?

Bob

Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

No it doesn't start after sitting a few days. Have you seen this?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear

DOes the car CRANK after sitting a few days?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Not until I jump it

Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 AM
2nd Gear

OK, so it doesn't crank after sitting. Most likely cause - a drain on the battery. Most likely cause - a stuck switch leaving a light on. Check your trunk and make sure that the light is off. Make sure all your doors are closed. Make sure no interior light is left on and that there is nothing plugged into your cigarette lighters. After that, you have detective work to do. Pulling fuses might isolate the circuit at fault. An ammeter is a good tool in this situation as it will measure the current draw.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Identical cold start problem 5 months later

I am quite new to this myself. I have owned my 2005 Audi A6 for 9 months now and it has been in the shop for 5 of the months. I had the cold start problem exactly like yours at first. I took it to a near by audi dealership called Suds Audi to get their advice. They kept it for 4 months and couldn't fix the problem. They first started to replace the throttle body which they assured that would fix the problem. It did not and they pressed forward with cleaned out the fuel injectors for there was horrible carbon build up. They told me the worst they have ever seen. They continued to put 6 more hours of labor into it trying to figure out what the problem was. So, I got sick of this horrible service and has it transported to another dealership for I thought I was getting screwed over. To my knowledge I had no idea. It was then transported to Green audi where its at right now and they assured me that I was correct in my feelings. Green Audi tells me that once suds replaced the throttle body they did not program it to my car and my car would not recognize the part. They then tell me that the throttle body replacement wasn't even necessary in fixing the problem. They then tell me that the fuel pump was not working at all and that's one of the reasons why it wouldn't cold start very well. They then say that I need a new battery to keep a charge for the car. It should be fixed after this procedure. I hope and pray that this is all I need to do. $3,300 dollar later...

I have learned a lot from dealing with a large dealership to learning about the car and its repairs. I look at this as a life lesson and will learn much during this trip.

Let me know if I can help further with your problems.