Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door control

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Default Fuel Door control

I'm a noob owner of an A6 with 137k miles. Of course some PO took the manual so I'm kinda operating in the dark. I've already used the archives to program the Homelink sender. And enjoyed very much the 'read this if you are a new owner of the 2.7t'. I'm also debating with myself on the oil I plan to use.

To open the fuel door I can press on the forward edge (fwd of the hinge line) and it opens. The fuel door has a latch pin in the aft sill of the fuel door that I can push in and out by hand. Just above the trunk release button on the drivers door frame is the remains of a broken button... was that the fuel door release?

And if anyone has a 2000 A6 manual online that I can download, that would be cool.

warmly,
Dave

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel Door

Hi Funpilot,

That pin that you are refering to is to lock the fuel door and prevent thieves from siphoning the fuel from your tank. It is only active when the car doors are locked.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

That is normal fuel door operation. There is no "release," per se... If the car is unlocked, you can open it. If it is locked, you can try...

The broken button is used to disable the interior motion sensor alarm if you park the car with the windows/sunroof cracked and want to lock it without the alarm being set off by the wind.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks a lot guys, great information... I have additional obvious questions, but I'll post in a new thread because I believe in Search-able Archives

(edit) I just went out to try my fuel door with the car locked, the door opens. The latching rod is fully retracted, but has nothing to engage with. The black plastic insert has a hole that's about 8mm in diameter, and the rod is about 3mm with just a small metal end. Either the latch rod is missing something, or the plastic insert is.

Warmly,
Dave

Last edited by funpilot; 05-25-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added condition found on my car after getting responses
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Default Missing Owner's Manual

Well this is interesting... the owner's manual wasn't missing afterall. It is stored in a cuby under the steering column in a soft vinyl folder. I'm noting this because I see some posts about missing manuals, and wonder how many folks never found it?

Dave