Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A6 Bluetooth phone troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Default 2005 A6 Bluetooth phone troubles

Hi -

I just took delivery of a new 2005 A6 4.2 (which I looooove), but I have been having some issues with the bluetooth phone integration. I suspect it's a problem with the car and not the phone, as the same thing is happening with two different phones.

Here's what's happening: the phone is a Motorola Razr V3, and it is successfully paired with the car. I am able to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls, however, when I finish the call and hit the "end call" button, although the phone disconnects correctly, the car doesn't think it has. It still says the call is connected and the call timer keeps running. Hoever, the phone is idle. Since the car thinks a call is still in progress, it keeps the audio system (CD, radio, etc) muted and there is no way to unmute it. If I manually dial a number on the phone, the call is still routed through the car's handsfree system. If an incoming call comes in, the car receives it. The only way to get the car to release the "call" and restore the audio system is to pull over and stop the car, then start it up again. Clearly, this is not a good or acceptable option.

The same behavior also happens with a Siemens S65.

Any ideas? I'm going to get in touch with my Audi dealership tomorrow, but I'm worried that since this whole bluetooth thing is so new to Audi that they'll just shrug and blame my phone(s).

Lee

Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Default RE: 2005 A6 Bluetooth phone troubles

This is very concerning, because the Razr has a high end Bluetooth profile.
I'm having the same issue with my Pocket PC Phone (PPC-PE), I-Mate PDA2K. I will receive the small PPC-PE I-Mate JAM tomorrow, which has the 1.2 Bluetooth profile like the Razr. I was hoping this would create a better BT Partnership, but your post leads me to believe this will not be the case.
One thing though, I can either turn the Bluetooth off on my device and hence end the partnership with Audi's MMI System or I can turn the MMI system off, when this continued call issue occurs.
Have you been able to work your Razr phonebook with the car? Although I hear the Razr phonebook software is very limited.
Have you been able to create a wired connection/docking with your phone and car yet? I was going to see if an after-market custom car shop could get my device and the car wired together.

I also love my Audi A6 4.2. I came out of a 2002 A6 4.2, and I got to tell you the 2005 is a substantial upgrade. One fine automobile. I also love the MMI System, voice activation, etc. Have you signed up to XM Radio yet. I love the satellite radio, very cool.
Ed

Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 AM

I never did get the Razr to work. I returned it and tried the new V551, which works fine - no hang up problems. Unfortunately, none of the phones listed on Audi's compatibility chart allow access to the phones' built in address books - just those stored on the SIM card. That's okay in my case since I don't have that many numbers stored. Other than that, the V551 has worked great - no problems at all. I'm disappointed about the Razr since I really liked that phone. Hopefully Audi will have some sort of software upgrade in the future that will allow me to use that phone.

Lee

Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2005 A6 3.2. Am assuming that the electronics on the 3.2 are the same as the 4.2. I have a Nokia 6820 Bluetooth phone. The paring worked right away. The call handling, including passing over the ring tone, works very well. I was disappointed, though, to find that the phone book could not be populated on the car, nor does it remember the "last dialled", "incoming calls", etc... beyond those immediately made. I was assuming that the car could at least accept an OBEX Object Push the way other Bluetooth devices work. Having said that, I'm psyched about how well the integration works. Great sound, super microphone, and good sound dampening technology while talking on the road. Integration with MMI is flawless for me with regard to muting and unmuting, etc....

Old 01-09-2005, 03:08 AM

Well the Pocket PC Phone Edition JAM does not partner at all with the MMI System. It has 1.2 BT like the Razr, which is the most current bluettoth profile. Better line of sight and other things. To bad because I love the new JAM Device. In fact I love it so much that I cannot get rid of it regardless if it partners with MMI or not.
One of the guys at work has a V551. I will check it out.
leeunkrich, do you have the V551 wire connected in the center compartment or strictly bluetooth? If BT, then I assume it picks up your contacts from your SIM that way?

Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 PM

i have similar problems with the motorola V710 from Verizon. Verizon has disabled some of the BT features.
But twice i have experienced the radio going mute and then recieving a message that says the radio is not installed.

the first time it corrected itself when I restarted the engine. This time is that doesn't work. The dealer is clueless. Anybody else experience this? Any solutions?

T

Old 02-26-2005, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

My understanding is that the Pocket PC Phone Edition does not have a Handsfree or Headset profile for bluetooth. I am using a Samsung i700 and had to go the Jabra BT adapter route to use a BT headset. This could be why the JAM doesn't work?

Old 02-27-2005, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear

Has anyone found a verizon supported phone that works with the 2005 A6 4.2? I expect to take delivery of my car in a few weeks and will need to purchase a new phone.

Kevin

Old 02-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Zauberer,
Pocket PCs and Phone Edition devices have had both the headset and hansfree profile for quite some time now, at least 2 years.
The problem is with the Audi BT Profile, which nobody seems to know much about. Not my Dealer, not the Audi Site, nor Audi Phone support.
My guess is that the Audi BT Profile is 1.0 or 1.1 at the most. The MMI System provides no functionality of the Bluetooth options or modes, and this does not help.
I have gone back to using my Jabra BT250 Headset.
I was able to use my previous version Pocket PC-PE device, I-Mate PDA2K with my Audi, The PDA2K has a 1.1 BT Profile. The JAM on the otherhand has a 1.2 BT Profile, like the Razr.
It was nice using the Audi for handsfree, but I did get complaints about the audio reception, voice calrity, background noise and echoes.
I love my Audi 4.2 2005. Prior to this car I had a 2002 Audi 4.2. The MMI System is pretty cool, but Audi is a real rookie at BT Implementation. Acura has had it around for a while and their system provides a Bluetooth Menu.
The saddest part is that nobody knows how you can upgrade the BT Profile or if Audi would ever offer that. Right now Audi is just getting their feet wet with the whole electronic thing. They have upgrade d the GPS Software, and they may soon provide a complete upgrade for GPS on those who purchased an Audi A6 that did not originally have GPS.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

I guess the problem is with the Socket Bluetooth SDIO card then, I thought it was with PPC PE. My i700 does not have built in bluetooth, so my options are the Jabra adapter, or wired. If I go with a wired handsfree kit, then I lose the serial port on the phone, which I use for GPS.

Oh well, In another year I'll be eligible for another $100 rebate and then maybe I'll get whatever Verizon PocketPC phone that is out and supports BT natively.

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 Bluetooth phone troubles