Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A6 4DR Sedan- Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Default 2006 A6 4DR Sedan- Roof Rack

I need some input from everyone! I just bought a brand new 06' Audi A6 sedan. I am a cyclist/triathlete and have a very expensive carbon bike I need to transport. I've always used a roof rack which is the safest and most secure way to transport. I need to decide what to do with my new car! I could opt for the trunck rack which doesn't secure my bike as well and potentially could scratch the trunk but I would be able to take off and keep the smooth lines of my A6. HELP!!!! What does everyone think of the look of the A6 with a roof rack????

I am concerned that a roof rack will take away from the look of my new A6??? Does anyone have a A6 with a roof rack they can send me pictures of?

If I do get a roof rack which should I get? It looks like Audi offers one from the dealership...anybody know anything about those? Yakimo makes a nice rack but I've read it is very high. Looks like Saris is the recommended roof rack from the forums.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 2006 A6 4DR Sedan- Roof Rack

I'd suggest none of the above. The rear seats fold down, making the A6 a great car for a cyclist with a very expensive bike. Instead of putting your baby on top of your mistress, put her inside (OK, that was a very weird metaphor, but I hope you get my point). Your bike will be safer, cleaner, and your A6 will not have any ugly appendages on it.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Factory rack doesn't look bad in my opinion compared to the Yakima and Thule round or square bars. They do get a little noisier because of their thickness, but I can remove them in about 3-4 minutes.

Let me know what you think.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and have installed my roof rack from my A4. It is a THULE Rack and was $500 installed. THULE, in my opinon, is the best quality construction and I have put bikes, kayaks, skis/boards etc. with no problems. So, I took my rack and wanted to install it on my A6 and found out that I needed special clips for the window sills (an additional $50 bones) Once installed, the car looked great. The new THULE valances look sharp and doesn't take anything away from the car. One thing to remeber when installing yourself or having someone else do it--when you open the doors there are 2 arrows (each door) on the top sill (rubber) that indicate where the feet are to be installed. This is crucial because you don't want water leakage or wind noise. Plus, this was well thought out by the engineers to distribute the weight and to achieve perfect balance. I personally like the look. The only bitch is that washing the roof is a pain but I have not experienced any wind noise or whistle from the valance. One advantage is that with the valance installed and the sunroof open all the way, it significantly reduces wind baffle and noise. Definitely check out this link
http://www.thule.com

Since THULE is a European Product, I think it is appropriate. Yakima Racks look ridiculous and are cheap construction. Plus, THULE has attachments for attachments. Lot's of upgrades and functionality. It is a bit more expensive then the competitive brands, but well worth it, and it is super lightweight and easy to take off/install. If you are worried about scratching your vehicle (like me) buy the slide out rack system. Standing on the drivers side, you unlock the slider and the whole top slides towards you for easy loading/unloading. Really cool feature. Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

there are so sweet *** top bike racks for cars. thule makes some but Yakima just came out with a great looking one called the sprocket-rocket. It holds the mnt bike wheels and road bike wheels really well. Has a tubular design with a carbon gray finish. Its a great bike holder.

Check out www.rackhaus.com for any Thule or Yakima fit on your car.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SouthboroAudiGuy

I'd suggest none of the above. The rear seats fold down, making the A6 a great car for a cyclist with a very expensive bike. Instead of putting your baby on top of your mistress, put her inside (OK, that was a very weird metaphor, but I hope you get my point). Your bike will be safer, cleaner, and your A6 will not have any ugly appendages on it.
I am in the same dilema.
I would go for the above option except that WE have two bikes and going to races, a heck of a lot of gear (extra wheelsets, tools, etc..) so the trunk is not an option.
I'm really bummed that Thule can't come up with an option for my 2005 A6.
The one in the Audi catalogue looks like pooh compared to the Thule. I have the rack system from my old 2001 A4 that I guess I'll have to throw on Craigslist or somethin...
Shame, shame, shame on Thule!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

There is a 3rd alternative. I just bought a class 1 trailer hitch from eTrailer for $159 and am paying $120 to Racknroad to install it for me (out of laziness, looks like a pretty simple install for those of youDIY'ers). Then you can carryyour bikes safely (lots of bike racks to choose from byThule and others that fit a class 1 hitch) and easily remove the rack when you aren't going cycling. This solution allows you to carry 2 or even up to 4 bikes, leaves the back seat free for additional passengers, and you won't hear wind noise through the sunroof like you would with a roof rack. The hitch weighs 26 pounds, so I don't consider theextra weight you're permanently carrying around to be a problem either. Mine is being installed Thursday, or I'd show a picture of what it looks like. However, I did this on my last car and the hitch was basically invisible from rear unless you got down low to look for it.