AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 water in cabin (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/2006-audi-a6-4-2-v8-water-cabin-223982/)

Angelisus 02-16-2017 06:59 PM

2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 water in cabin

Hello,

I have a 2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 that has the water issue. I have water coming into the cabin from what appears to be the firewall or dash. It started on the passenger side everytime it rained. I cleaned the sunroof drain lines. I also popped the hood and cleaned out what leaves I could with an air compressor and shop vac. I thought I got a lot out. Now I have water pouring into the drivers side. I mean pouring. I took it through a car wash and I ended up with 2 inches of water coming in just left of the brake. I've searched everywhere for information regarding the 4.2 A6. Are there other lines that could be clogged in the engine bay? I saw with the A4 there are under the battery, but my battery is in the trunk. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jayme

sheldon 02-17-2017 12:30 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is the plastic trim on the windshield. If that is no longer attached or the glue is gone or it got damaged it will let water straight into the cabin. Had that happen on my old 2002 A6 and it was pretty bad. However it is an easy fix if that is your problem. Inspect that plastic trim on the bottom of the windshield and make sure it's sealed correctly / not damaged. This piece should be glued in and sealed when the windshield is replaced. Did you have any recent windshield work done?

Angelisus 02-17-2017 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by sheldon (Post 1510267)
The only thing that comes to mind is the plastic trim on the windshield. If that is no longer attached or the glue is gone or it got damaged it will let water straight into the cabin. Had that happen on my old 2002 A6 and it was pretty bad. However it is an easy fix if that is your problem. Inspect that plastic trim on the bottom of the windshield and make sure it's sealed correctly / not damaged. This piece should be glued in and sealed when the windshield is replaced. Did you have any recent windshield work done?

I'm not sure if I'd consider it recent. Last year someone kicked a semi truck tire through my windshield. Wasn't too bad, figured I'd just need a new windshield which is covered in FL. USAA had me take it to a shop, which proceeded to tear down my car and try to send USAA a bill for 13k in damages. Obviously my A6 wasn't worth that at this point and it got totalled out. Fixed the windshield. Everything else has been fine. Noticed the water for the first time over the summer. I'm wondering if something wasn't sealed properly. I think I know what plastic piece you are talking about. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. It's not flush with the windshield though.

viktop 02-18-2017 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Angelisus (Post 1510251)
Hello,

I have a 2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 that has the water issue. I have water coming into the cabin from what appears to be the firewall or dash. It started on the passenger side everytime it rained. I cleaned the sunroof drain lines. I also popped the hood and cleaned out what leaves I could with an air compressor and shop vac. I thought I got a lot out. Now I have water pouring into the drivers side. I mean pouring. I took it through a car wash and I ended up with 2 inches of water coming in just left of the brake. I've searched everywhere for information regarding the 4.2 A6. Are there other lines that could be clogged in the engine bay? I saw with the A4 there are under the battery, but my battery is in the trunk. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jayme

Bro same broblem on my a8. Check your sunroon drains. You should be able to see the hole from the top with sunroof open. Mine were clogged. I air pressured them and now they work just fine. Water doesnt get inside anymore. Fix it soon because mine flooded a module and my interior lighting is tripping now. .
VT

Angelisus 02-19-2017 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by viktop (Post 1510290)
Bro same broblem on my a8. Check your sunroon drains. You should be able to see the hole from the top with sunroof open. Mine were clogged. I air pressured them and now they work just fine. Water doesnt get inside anymore. Fix it soon because mine flooded a module and my interior lighting is tripping now. .
VT

It wasn't the sunroof lines for me. I cleaned those out, still nothing. It's definitely coming in from the engine bay somehow. Under my dash is soaked. I do have a feeling that all the lines getting wet inside is causing something to trip and killing my battery. Anytime we have a few days of rain over a few weeks, my battery dies. The battery always checks good. When we have a dry period it's fine.

washyymary 02-28-2017 12:20 PM

I heard many people complaining about this issue and almost every time the fault was the sunroof.. So.. it must be here too I think. And it's quite logical in my opinion..

doroth 03-01-2017 01:21 PM

I have sunroof too.. I am wondering If I am going to have these type of problems too...

ian69 03-02-2017 01:11 PM

I have not experienced yet this problem.. I got my car from https://dsrleasing.com/ and I am completely satisfied! I believe that if you check once in a while the sunroof, everything will be ok.

Inveresk 03-06-2017 09:41 AM

There are plenum drains that conduct the water that runs down the windshield. If these are blocked water will find its way into the interior. This isn't only a problem with Audis. The onboard computer in our VW was fried because of this issue costing us over $3k in repair costs. This needs to become a regular maintenance item, particularly if you live in a wooded area.

There are YouTube videos that describe how to check for blockages and clear them. Do a search for Audi A6 plenum drain.

DanielThomas 03-07-2017 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by ian69 (Post 1510603)
I have not experienced yet this problem.. I got my car from https://dsrleasing.com/ and I am completely satisfied! I believe that if you check once in a while the sunroof, everything will be ok.

I think Ian is right, you must check your sunroof one more time.:)