AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   2008 A6 Tail lights work then don't. Please HELP! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/2008-a6-tail-lights-work-then-dont-please-help-166469/)

nloporto1 03-21-2011 06:24 PM

2008 A6 Tail lights work then don't. Please HELP!

Hi there, I've searched the forum for awhile now and I can't seem to find anyone that had a similar issue with their A6 so I figured I'd ask for some advice from the people who know these cars best, their owners.
I have a 2008 A6 which keeps on telling me that I have my drivers side rear light bulb out, backup light out and foglight out. This all started a couple of days ago and I noticed that my lights out malf light didn't come on every time I took the car out for a ride. Today, I finally had time to get out to the store to buy the bulbs and I not only replaced all of the bulbs on the driver side but also on the passenger side as well. After testing everything out, all seemed to be good until the malf light came on again and a bulb that I just changed on the drivers side rear was not lit. Could this be just a dirty socket? I did wipe down everything when I took out the tail light assembly's. I hope its not more complicated. Just figured I ask before taking it to Audi, I'd hate to bring it in for something stupid. Thanks.

Kevin 03-21-2011 07:24 PM

It is a common problem in our cars. It is discussed all over AW. I had the same problem. The entire light unit needs to be replaced. Changing the bulbs does not correct the problem.

plimagt3 03-21-2011 08:10 PM

The solution is far simpler and far less expensive. The problem is the ground connection in the cable that plugs onto the light assembly. You need to remove the light assembly and carefully clean the ground connection (cable and light assy). Ground is the brown wire. I used 600 grit paper (be very gentle; you only want to remove dirt and light oxide, not the plating) and laquer thinner. Reassemble and it works fine; no more warnings.

nloporto1 03-22-2011 08:48 AM

Thank you for your replies, I will try this today and let you know how it goes. I knew I could count on fellow Audi enthusiasts

met 05-02-2012 01:41 AM

left tail light

Originally Posted by plimagt3 (Post 1297723)
The solution is far simpler and far less expensive. The problem is the ground connection in the cable that plugs onto the light assembly. You need to remove the light assembly and carefully clean the ground connection (cable and light assy). Ground is the brown wire. I used 600 grit paper (be very gentle; you only want to remove dirt and light oxide, not the plating) and laquer thinner. Reassemble and it works fine; no more warnings.

hi i have that same problem with my tail light, is there any way you can tell me step by step how to get to that assembly and where its located, i do know how to remove the light unit but that is about it thanks in advance.

eazy211187 05-02-2012 06:47 PM

met,
where the harness connects to the back of light housing, there are 2 rows of pins pointing outward. The bottom row with 1 pin is the ground that's the one to be clean. But you could clean all the pins while your at it. I've done it before and I also use a smallest flat screwdriver or even a needle to pull the harness pin open for a better contact. Also clean the contact point of the light bulbs and pull the contacts so there's better contact with the bulbs.

jattsingh 05-04-2012 04:56 PM

I had the same problem in my 2006 audi a6. I replaced all of the bulbs but still nothing worked. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they cleaned up some corrosion on the connector (which I didnt even think of looking at), and now it works fine. I could have done it myself, it cost me $50 for the dealer to do it.

met 05-05-2012 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by eazy211187 (Post 1381608)
met,
where the harness connects to the back of light housing, there are 2 rows of pins pointing outward. The bottom row with 1 pin is the ground that's the one to be clean. But you could clean all the pins while your at it. I've done it before and I also use a smallest flat screwdriver or even a needle to pull the harness pin open for a better contact. Also clean the contact point of the light bulbs and pull the contacts so there's better contact with the bulbs.

ok the ground pin had actually black stuff around it so i can see why it was doing that but all other pins were clean i cleaned them a bit to, 2 days now i haven't seen the light msg so i'm happy about that, thank you very mouch for all your help.

and does the harness connector need to be clean? or does that even open?
thanx.

Jeff-AudiUSAParts 05-07-2012 01:22 PM

There is a pc board and electrical contact cleaner in aerosol spray that works well to get into connectors. It's meant to eat away at corrosion small enough that you can't really see, but can cause problems in low amperage circuits. I've used it, let dry and then at least on my dirt bike I use dielectric grease. It's good to prevent further corrosion and is an electronic insulator, compatible with rubber as well. These two together work really well.

Audifan73 07-29-2012 06:28 PM

Can on of you tell me how to take the rear right side light assembly off? I have a 2006 A6 and need to replace the brake light bulb. Thx