Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 A6 Tail lights work then don't. Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Same Problem. No Solution

I have had the exact same problem as everyone here (Right tail light not working) on my 2010 Audi A4. I took apart the light assembly and harness unit and I didn't see any corrosion or anything resembling corrosion. Of course, I'm not qualified by any means but I compared both lights after dis-assembly and did not see any difference between the two. I'm starting to worry that this is an electrical issue. If anyone has any other suggestions, step by step instructions (Pictures and/or Video definitely preferred) I would be eternally grateful.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Right tail light problem!!!

Had the exact same problem. Changed all the bulbs with no effect.

After reading the forum, I cleaned the contacts with a small screw driver and sandpaper. Rassembled the tail light assembly and everything works like new.

This Forums input saved me a trip to the service deprtment!

....Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

2006 Audi A6 4.2L drivers side tail light problem

Tried cleaning contact prongs on housing and other suggested solutions, but they didn't work or were temporary. Found this link and step by step solution with pictures, and haven't had a problem since (has been 2 months). Was very easy and only took me 20 minutes start to finish, and best of all it was free because I had the parts I needed! Great post that saved me $100-$300 that dealer probably would have charged me.

Intermittent Taillight Issue

Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default thankq

Thank Q for explanation and it seems really helpful .
But I couldn't catch how I have to clean and what exactly ?if I have any chance to send me any photo accordingly it will be great.coz it is really problem for me already , tried many electrition but no one knows anything.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mr__alpha
Thank Q for explanation and it seems really helpful .
But I couldn't catch how I have to clean and what exactly ?if I have any chance to send me any photo accordingly it will be great.coz it is really problem for me already , tried many electrition but no one knows anything.
Cleaning the connections was only a temporary fix for me. Tried replacing bulbs also and that didn't work. Follow the link below and the instructions for a more permanent fix. It's not hard to do if you are at all mechanically inclined. Really easy fix problem, unless it's something totally different. Hope you can get it working. I've been error free from tail lights since I did the fix. Cost me nothing!

Intermittent Taillight Issue

Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Well it has happened to my right rear lights and my fix was to take needle nose pliers and twist the ground prong about 45 degrees to make it fit tighter in the female connector. It's still good after 3 weeks.
There is erosion to the ground pin due to current draw and it takes it's toll. When and if it gets to the point of reoccurring I will run a separate grd wire to the frame or proceed like noskill in his write up.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Quick fix

I found a very easy fix, and in doing so learned more than i need so i'm sharing my knowledge here.

problem: rear left brake/turn (top part of the assembly) works for split second and the fails, suspected a short in the ground. Noticed that other lights (normal light bulbs on lower part of the assembly) worked find on the lower sections of the light

1. if it's just the top part of taillight then it's probably just the LED which is used as brake and left turn
2. located the two connection points + and - that connect the grey and red parts of the assembly. carefully shave off all of the black from the connections points and then plug back in and test

that's it

Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
met
1st Gear
Default Audi a6 c6 tail light problem.

Ok guys ive had this problem happen to me on both tail lights now, and i have a permanent solution that has worked for me ever since,
Cleaning the pins will only work for a few weeks or months, what you need to do is cut the ground wire about an inch or 2 away from the connector and solder another wire to it about 5-6 inches long to make the ground wire longer so you can bypass the connector, now drill a hole threw the light bulb HOUSING not to big just enough to fit the wire threw, after your done you can put a bit of silicone to stop any water that might try to get in there, now your almost done, from the inside of the housing locate the pin that your ground wire connects to and solder your new ground wire on top of the pin from the inside you'll have to scrape the coding a bit or the solder wont stick and of course put some electric tape around the first connection that you made and put everything back together.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Front indicator light on and off

Hi

I drive a 2011 Audi A3 and the problem that I am having is that the front indicator light and the back reversing works one day and the next day they don't. I get that message on that dashboard which warns me about the problem. They work for a day or two and they stop, then the next day they start working again for another day and start again.

Please advise anyone

Old 09-26-2015, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake/Turn signal Not working

I had this same problem on my 2007 A6 except it was the LED brake and turn signal. The notification on the dash mentioned everything BUT the brake light (rear fog lights, rear reverse light, etc.) I measured the continuity in the tail-light and it was OK and I also checked the ground between the wiring harness and a ground in the trunk and it was OK so at first I didn't think it was the connection. However after cleaning the blade connectors on the taillight assembly with steel wool and scraping the female connectors in the wiring harness connector the brake lights are working again. I think any intermittent situation like this is most likely a ground problem.

Quick Reply: 2008 A6 Tail lights work then don't. Please HELP!