Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 A6 3.0T clunking sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 2011 A6 3.0T clunking sound

Hi all - I'm new to the forum as I've been a BMW driver most of my life but made the switch to Audi after I drove my A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige and immediately fell in love. Anyway... my A6 has been great for the most part and really hasn't had many issues up until now and I was hoping you fine people might be able to help me out.

I noticed the other day that when my A6 starts moving from a stop or from a very slow roll and I start turning my steering wheel, a clunk sound comes from the front, center part of the car. This only happens under 5 MPH and when the steering wheel is turned, never when the wheel is at center or above 5 MPH. I was wondering if anybody has experienced this problem also or if anybody might have any idea what it might be. Any helps is very much appreciated! Here is a link to a YouTube video I have of the sound:

I was part of a BMW forum when I was a BMW owner and learned a great deal about my car and met some great people. Looking forward to chatting with the group here! Thanks in advance for the help and thoughts!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM

did dealer say anything?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:08 AM
2nd Gear

Have you checked to see the condition of your tie rod end boots? If a clip broke that will allow it to move which maybe causing the noise that you hear.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Probably a bit early for control arms or bushings. I was thinking the steering column universal joint shaft but on this car it's part of the entire steering column assembly. Is your car under warranty still?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

That is strange. You should probably call Click & Clack the Car Guys. They are always figuring out what strange sounds are coming from!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Or maybe the top strut bearing/mounts for the front suspension? I tend to doubt this since there is very little stock in the US warehouses, a sign there is not much need to stock this part. But that noise is almost perfect text book upper strut bearings.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys - thanks so much for your replies and advice! i haven't taken it to my mechanic yet as I've been extremely busy with work.

A new development: After driving it for a little while, I hear a very slight but repetitive clunking sound from the front center of the car when the car is idling. This now has me very worried and I very much need to take it to the shop but I'm having a hard time finding the time to do so.

Also, I haven't found an "honest/good" mechanic in the Seattle area yet so I want to make sure I'm as educated about this as possible as I don't want to get completely raped on the repair cost. Unfortunately, the car is no longer under warranty so I will have to cover any repair costs for this problem out of pocket.

Any further thoughts on what this might be is greatly appreciated. Thanks again folks!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxwell0116
Hi guys - thanks so much for your replies and advice! i haven't taken it to my mechanic yet as I've been extremely busy with work.

A new development: After driving it for a little while, I hear a very slight but repetitive clunking sound from the front center of the car when the car is idling. This now has me very worried and I very much need to take it to the shop but I'm having a hard time finding the time to do so.

Also, I haven't found an "honest/good" mechanic in the Seattle area yet so I want to make sure I'm as educated about this as possible as I don't want to get completely raped on the repair cost. Unfortunately, the car is no longer under warranty so I will have to cover any repair costs for this problem out of pocket.

Any further thoughts on what this might be is greatly appreciated. Thanks again folks!
it is a 2011 car, why not go to the dealer? don't tell me it is out of warranty

Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by student.northwestern
it is a 2011 car, why not go to the dealer? don't tell me it is out of warranty
It is out of warranty unfortunately. I have to drive quite a bit for work as I'm in enterprise sales for Microsoft. I'm driving to client sites pretty often and am frequently taking clients out. Car just went out of warranty.