Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 A6 Needs new brake pads AND ROTORS @ 35K?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default 2012 A6 Needs new brake pads AND ROTORS @ 35K?????

I have a 2012 A6 (bought new ~22 months ago) with ~35K miles.

Dealer is telling me I need to replace the brake pads (7mm rear / 2 mm front). This is surprising but I can live with it...

They are also telling me I need to replace ALL 4 ROTORS and that this is typical of "German performance cars". This is absolutely mind boggling as at least 25% of the 35K miles I have put on the car are highway miles with minimal braking.

Am I off base thinking this is crazy?

I'd appreciate any thoughts / comments you'd care to share.

Thanks,

FAS

Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Well, if you go to the dealer they are pretty much only going to do things by the book. Audi recommends doing the rotors AND pads together. Always. They argue that the pads and the rotors seat into each other and are most effective when done in pairs.

I think most of us here have come to the conclusion that it is possible, and probably more sensible, to do pads and/or rotors, but not necessarily at the same time. I doubt you will get the dealer to just do pads. And if they did, chances are any warranty that you have might go out the window as a result.

35,000 miles does seem a bit premature if you ask me. I think I have about 20,000 on my set and I have plenty of brake depth. I do spirited driving from time to time, but for the vast majority of those miles, I really am not laying on the brakes a heck of a lot. Again, the life of your braking system mostly depends on your driving styles. The A6 is a VERY heavy car and it takes a lot to stop it. Am I surprised to hear an A6 needed brakes after 35,000? No, it's possible.

Try to find a good independent German shop around you. Most likely they will be willing to do a pad slap versus doing pads AND rotors. The independent shop might even resurface your rotors for a decent price.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
The A6 is a VERY heavy car and it takes a lot to stop it. Am I surprised to hear an A6 needed brakes after 35,000? No, it's possible.
heavy isn't a big enough word. It's more like a hefer on wheels. If I'm not mistaking the A6 Avants (C5 and C6) are heavier than any A6 sedan? I've put in about 44,000 miles on my 2001 A6 Avant since I got it nearly 3 years ago and I've never touched the brakes or rotors. The fronts still have decent pad in them but the rears are getting low finally and with that I been doing a lot of highway speed driving (back country roads) and still do. Like Nebuchadnezzar mentioned Audi is gonna go by the books so its possible it might need it or they just being crooks after your hard earned money.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Pretty much any shop will tell you to do pads and rotors at the same time, no matter the make. Some say that resurfacing a rotor is sufficient if there is enough life left in it.

It's just standard to get you to buy more, but at the same time is best practice.