Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 Upgrades or mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Default 4.2 Upgrades or mods

Any body out there have any good ECU or performancem mods for a 4.2?? I am looking for any ideas around getting more power out of it.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 4.2 Upgrades or mods

Suggest you do a search. This question has been asked and answered many, many times. In particular, do a search for any posts by Boston Driver -- he has a 4.2 he's modded quite a bit and the link to his registry page details what he's done.

In a nutshell, there's not a ton of mods you can do to increase horsepower. At best, you'll pick up a few horsepower. Certainly nothing like what you get out of chipping a turbo engine.

Good luck and welcome.

One other tip... You may want to follow the link in my signature to my registry page. There you will find a link to Stoney's Links -- the ultimate A6 FAQ and resource guide.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 4.2 Upgrades or mods

Yup, Southboro is on top of it! There is not much you can do to increase HP from the 4.2 engine. There are rumors that MTM is making a supercharger for the V8, but that project was delayed, and might even be tabled indefinitely. Regardless, it would ahve cots a mint to buy and install.

However, there are other things you can do, including a tiptronic tranny chip which improved teh smoothness and timing of shifts. You can also upgrade various suspension components to improve the handling and feel of the car. Beefier sway bars are popular among the A6 crowd (Hotchkis H-sports specifically), they REALLY improve the cornering abilities of the A6. Good bang-for-the-buck as well, as retail these go for about $400 and it is a somewhat easy DIY install. As Southboro mentioned, check stoney's links or my registry page for more info.

You canalso upgrade your springs and shocks to something stiffer, maybe even lower the stance of the car a bit. Way too many options out there for that, but consider coilovers if you can afford them, as they enable you to dial in the ride height, and some even allow you to adjust the firmness of the dampening.

Most of the other stuff I have done to my car have been cosmetic or electrical.

Enjoy your ride!!!