Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A6 2.8 HELP!! (Engine and Transmission Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Lightbulb 97 A6 2.8 HELP!! (Engine and Transmission Replacement)

Hey guys I'm new to the Audi world, I've been playing with domestics and Japanese imports for awhile.

I just recently acquired a clean 1997 A6 2.8 Quattro AT. for a great price but the engine is has a crack in the block and oil baked to the cylinder walls.

I need some advice as to where to get a new engine, also it has an automatic transmission in it now with 200k on it and I want to swap in a Manual since I'll have the engine all ready out. Is this an easy Conversion? and will everything fit together nicely if I get a Quattro Manual Transmission? I'm in desperate need of some advice on where to begin any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Wow. Changing out an engine is one thing, but switching transmissions is a big job - electronics, clutch system, instrument cluster, interior parts, lots of things will need to be changed. I'd see if you can find a front clip with all the parts so you have everything you need.
Jim

Old 03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a6Lou
Hey guys I'm new to the Audi world, I've been playing with domestics and Japanese imports for awhile.

I just recently acquired a clean 1997 A6 2.8 Quattro AT. for a great price but the engine is has a crack in the block and oil baked to the cylinder walls.

I need some advice as to where to get a new engine, also it has an automatic transmission in it now with 200k on it and I want to swap in a Manual since I'll have the engine all ready out. Is this an easy Conversion? and will everything fit together nicely if I get a Quattro Manual Transmission? I'm in desperate need of some advice on where to begin any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Here in the U.S. I'm about 99% certain the A6 was not available with a manual transmission. Will all of the manual transmission related parts from an A4 fit? Probably, but this is going to take a relatively straightforward job like an engine change to an entirely different level; the job will be hugely more complicated and the cost to you in both time and money will be rather significant as well. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do the tranny conversion; just be advised you're proposing a change to the car which move the project from very doable to virtually undoable for the average (or even above average) shade tree mechanic.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate the advice and will take all answers into serious consideration while still deciding whether to swap or not. In the meantime does anyone have any good resources to get an engine either remanu. or used?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Are there any good threads on replacing the engine and tranny with the same vin code??

After researching and your guys' helpful advice I decided that an easy swap would be best since this will be my daily driver getting close to 18,000 on it a year. BUT I still need to do a complete drive-train replacement with the current tranny having 200k....

I'll miss manual ( but that's where my 92 535i comes in handy )

Any and All help is Greatly Appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far!!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

If the tranny is still shifting good then give it at least two fluid changes about 4000 miles apart and you should be good to go.
People forget that when they change the fluid on a tranny that may have been a bit neglected then there will be dirt or burnt oil accumulation that the fresh fluid will start to remove quite quickly. This in turn will clog the filter quickly, hence multiple changes to make sure all the funk is removed.