Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A6 QT Wagon Automatic Tranny Slips

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Your 1997 A6 should have had the ATF and filter changed every 45,000 miles. Another reason that the transmission may be slipping is that the filter may be badly plugged. There is no way to check the fluid level other than by monitoring the transmission temperature and checking the fluid level with the fill plug removed at the specified temperature. Go to www.ross-tech.com for more information.
You should have the ATF and filter changed and the pan cleaned before you do any more damage to your transmission.
Another reason that Audi transmissions sometimes slip is that some instant oil change places drain the transmission instead of the engine, then add oil to the engine. By the time they figure out that they did it wrong, they then put the wrong ATF in the transmission and get the level wrong.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Exclamation 1997 A6 Wagon Automatic Tranny Slips Update

Took car to the audi dealer, their conclusion? Internal parts failure in transmission requiring complete repair/rebuild/replace. $5,500.

I have a new dilemma: I replaced the struts/bushings on the front suspension, installed a new timing belt (the second), had front brakes done and 4 new tires within the last 7 months (and 5000 miles).

A local independent Trans Shop recommended by my mechanic told me he gets about 2 Audis of this vintage (or newer) per week w/similar problems - something to do with a clutch disk retention clip that breaks or fails. He says he can do the R&R for between $2,800 and $4,000 averaging $3,300 and will warrant for 24 months or 24K (twice what Audi dealer will do). He also says he usually favors the odds of doing this job when the car is under 115K in mileage because he expects most will last to 200K (meaning the'yll get 80-90K more), although they may need other major work. As usual, it all depends on the individual car

I've always maintained the car well and it look good despite the paint/body being somewhat dinged up thanks to living in San Francisco. I also have a son who is 16 and just about to start driver training. Any advice of whether to donate/sell/repair this car?

Last edited by gya697sf; 06-16-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM

I also should have noted - I have 134K on my A6. So if it only went to 200K I would only realize about 66K more for my investment in transmisison and other repairs. Also - I know that the Power Steering Hydrualic system (pump and or line) is leaking, and the car does use oil...though it has since I got it 36K. about 1 quart every 1500-2000 Miles, regular as rain.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Why not let your son overhaul the transmission, so he will spend more time in the garage than on the road. Try looking for information from sites such as http://atsg.biz/ .

Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gya697sf
Took car to the audi dealer, their conclusion? Internal parts failure in transmission requiring complete repair/rebuild/replace. $5,500.

I have a new dilemma: I replaced the struts/bushings on the front suspension, installed a new timing belt (the second), had front brakes done and 4 new tires within the last 7 months (and 5000 miles).

A local independent Trans Shop recommended by my mechanic told me he gets about 2 Audis of this vintage (or newer) per week w/similar problems - something to do with a clutch disk retention clip that breaks or fails. He says he can do the R&R for between $2,800 and $4,000 averaging $3,300 and will warrant for 24 months or 24K (twice what Audi dealer will do). He also says he usually favors the odds of doing this job when the car is under 115K in mileage because he expects most will last to 200K (meaning the'yll get 80-90K more), although they may need other major work. As usual, it all depends on the individual car

I've always maintained the car well and it look good despite the paint/body being somewhat dinged up thanks to living in San Francisco. I also have a son who is 16 and just about to start driver training. Any advice of whether to donate/sell/repair this car?
Have you even considered TOPPING OFF the fluid to the required amount? I mean if the dealer deemed that is "1/2 quart low" by scanning it, why they didn't top off or at least offer to perform the service before making you spend a **** load of Benjamins?
It seems like everyone going to the dealers with transmission problems (lower or high mileage) invariably get the same answer - "replacing the whole shebang".
Guess what? It is a very lucrative (meaning extremely profitable) proposition for the dealer to just replace the tranny. Out of the $ 5,500 I bet you they get to keep at least half of it. How did they reach the conclusion that is an "internal mechanical failure" without opening the tranny? Did you ask them?

How about the indie shop? Did they offer to firstly top off the fluid to the required level? I bet not.

Do yourself a favor and top off that fluid, or change the ATF altogether + FILTER and then see what that does for you.
If that doesn't correct the problem, then indeed the indie shop mechanic may have a niche with that "disk retention clip". Obviously for him all the Audis have the same problem... All the cats are black in the night, no?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

i agree with chefro -

Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM
4th Gear

Yep... again, symptoms indicate low fluid.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

I'm in for topping it off. Audi does not rebuild transmissions anyway they replace them so what would they know about it. They tell me the strangest things at Audi.

If it does need one and since it's burning oil I wouldn't do it. Better off finding another they are going cheap now.
I just bought a 2000 A8 for 6800.00 with the records and almost up to date.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 PM

You may get an ATF fluid refill and filter kit with instructions from www.blauparts.com, but be sure to get some extra ATF. Usually, low ATF will cause transmission slipping. However, the pan must be cleaned and the new filter installed, before refilling the ATF with a hand pump which is in the kit.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM
3rd Gear

Actually the pump is sold separately ($ 13.95)

Quick Reply: 97 A6 QT Wagon Automatic Tranny Slips