AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   97 Audi A6 timming belt question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/97-audi-a6-timming-belt-question-129535/)

19-r-e-d-97 04-08-2009 08:09 PM

97 Audi A6 timming belt question

ok i have a 97 a6 2.8Q i drove home from work and parked in the driveway and the car was fine , went out about an hour later and the car wont start . after a bit of research i pulled the covers off the timming belt and found that the belt has broke . i picked up a tb,water pump,and pulleys . my question is how bad is it to change it and what are the chances that i wont have to pull the heads and do the valves?

verEYEzon 04-08-2009 11:35 PM

From my gatherings the front bumper, radiator and shroud all have to come off.

There are tons of videos on youtube showing it done and there is a TON of TB threads in this A6 sub forum.

gmatov 04-08-2009 11:42 PM

99.9% you got to do a valve job, if you turned it over at all.

Best bet is that if it ran till you tried to restart, you only bent valves. If it had died at speed, you probably would have broken valve buckets, as well. So, a few bucks less in parts.

You got an expense ahead of you unless you can do the work yourself, and your question doesn't hint that you are ALL that mechanically inclined. You still have an expense ahead of you if you can.

Difference would be less than 5 bills, you, mebbe 2 grand, the shop. Others have posted up to 5 grand. I sure wouldn't go there.

Sorry,

George

19-r-e-d-97 04-09-2009 12:56 AM

thanks for the replies guys, i am mechanically inclined but i am from the rotary world , this is my first audi . now i just need to figure out if at 180k she is worth the cost and effort to repair. errr

NH_USA 04-09-2009 12:37 PM

Do't forget to do the thermostat and seals when you have it apart

19-r-e-d-97 04-09-2009 10:38 PM

seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just put a motor in it .

gmatov 04-09-2009 11:55 PM

Red,

Believe me, it ain't any easier to change the engine than to remove and rebuild your heads.

There is a ton of work pulling and replacing that engine. Much easier to rebuilt the heads, and cheaper, if you have an auto machine shop that is reasonable.

I doubt you damaged any pistons. Possibly no buckets or valve lifters. Simply bent valves.

My parts house told me he could get valves for 14 bucks each. 168 bucks the set, and you don't know, but probably, that all 12 are bent.

You will probably come in under 500, reasonable for a 97 car.

I was surprised as hell to see what my foreign car boneyard sells these engines for, considering the price he gave me mine for. Went to their site and they get 1300 to over 2 grand for engines. Glad I am friends with them.

Cheers,

George

19-r-e-d-97 04-10-2009 11:59 AM

ok i have thought about it and i am not going to fix the one , i will be listing her in the forsale section , thanks for your help guys . have a look if you are in the market for a 97 a6Q ($1000)