Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Quattro front end crunching upon hard turns???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 Quattro front end crunching upon hard turns???

Sitting at a small intersection, steering wheel cocked full for a left turn, I had to gun it to get out into the traffic. What I heard scared me! Sounded like rusted stiff ball joints! I say ball joints with an s, because there seemed to be more than one player for the stressed crunching sounds? So here I have an all-wheel drive car, with also a chatter when making any hard turns to boot...(thought is wasa normalQuattro thing, as was told here) but now I'm wondering. My friends 1999 Outback never uttered a whisper when hard turning, so I am wondering what may be the problem........anyone with a clue?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 97 Quattro front end crunching upon hard turns???

Take a look at the CV boots to see if they are torn.
Rack up the vehicle and look at your upper control arm bushing with a light, they could be torn causing the link to flop around like a fish.
Quattro AWD systems are far different than any subaru, its basically a tractor differential called the torsen diff which is fully mechanical. When turning very hard you can get a slight chatter, but its hardly noticeable.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Take a look at the CV boots to see if they are torn.
Rack up the vehicle and look at your upper control arm bushing with a light, they could be torn causing the link to flop around like a fish.
Quattro AWD systems are far different than any subaru, its basically a tractor differential called the torsen diff which is fully mechanical. When turning very hard you can get a slight chatter, but its hardly noticeable.
Since I got this car, I have not had a chance to drive it up on ramps to even look underneath, haven't had time! When I bought it 5 weeks ago, I took everything at face value, 93k, well cared for, clean, one owner, heck, he even responded to my letter asking when, or if, he had changed the timing belt, he said he did. So, now it is my obligation to carry forth what is ahead. Yes, I doubt he did anything with the front end, probably because it didn't need it yet....93k.... so now I want..(need) to go the rest of the way with this car.....Previous to this car I revived an 87 300D, replaced the engine, cracked #14 head, new engine-did valve job, timing chain, rear seal, etc. great car but for the rust and rotted under dashheat pods, and other old warn-out essential needs, (cars over 20 years die in other ways too!) I just want to make my$5k investment work reasonably well for me. I'm not rich, in fact poor would best describe me. This car was the best value I feel I could make for the time and availability.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Site Moderator

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...viewimage.html
This is what you need if you wanna eliminate any suspension noise and take care of everything at the same time.
The kit is only $499, which is better than OEM.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...viewimage.html
This is what you need if you wanna eliminate any suspension noise and take care of everything at the same time.
The kit is only $499, which is better than OEM.
That's the whole front end, 5 pieces each! I know it is inevitable, and time takes it's toll regardless of miles. This is such the case with this A6. Just didn't expect it yet! Actually, my problem is in it's infancy, I think,I think I notice these kinds of things sooner than most, call me ****, but I like my cars to trackstraight withsteering wheel perfectly centered, breaking withhands off the wheel, and staying straight on track! My only toy!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Site Moderator

Im the same way, gotta have my cars in tip top shape.
The upper control arms usually only last about 60-80k depending on the driver. The lower arms usually never have any problems but the tie rod ends do!
For the price of the ecs tuning kit its a steal, the dealer would easilly charge $1,500 just for the parts alone that aren't even as good as the Meyle kit.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Im the same way, gotta have my cars in tip top shape.
The upper control arms usually only last about 60-80k depending on the driver. The lower arms usually never have any problems but the tie rod ends do!
For the price of the ecs tuning kit its a steal, the dealer would easilly charge $1,500 just for the parts alone that aren't even as good as the Meyle kit.
Thanks for the info, really,I have always done my own work, seldom I could afford otherwise. I am a marine mechanic,Yanmar, Volvo, Westerbeke, ZF-Hurth, mostly sailboats under 50'. I don't guess there are too many sailboats in Sacramento, but I did pass throughSacramentothumbing my way east back in 1974..............Thank you for your professionalism and advise. Glad your here.....Steve