Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 A6 Engine Valve Gasket Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 A6 Engine Valve Gasket Oil leak

Hey guys, i just bought a 98 A6 2 weeks back. I went to Strauss Auto to change battery & they told me that Engine Valve gasket had oil leak. This is my first Audi & i have no clue wat this means. Tried searching forums but can't seem to understand much. I wanted to know if this is something really serious & how much do u think it might cost me to fix it.

Also i saw some leak on the ground yesterday under my car. I didn't know if it was water or oil but i don't wanna take chances & want to get it cheked asap.

Knowledge Level on Audi's: Close to None

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear

It would be your valve cover gaskets and cam seals. If the leak is minor, just ignore it. The 2.8 is a leaky bitch. Just accept it now, and you will be much happier in the long run.

My cam seals/valve cover gaskets have been replaced 3 times in 160k miles and they are leaking again, and you know what, IDGAF (I don't give a ).

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

If you don't have a clue what this means, sell your Audi as fast as you can!!! You are in WAY over your head!!! You just don't realize it!

Sorry,

Bob

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
If you don't have a clue what this means, sell your Audi as fast as you can!!! You are in WAY over your head!!! You just don't realize it!

Sorry,

Bob
So i was supposed to know stuff bout a car before i had the car. I didn't even know much about my PC before i bought it... i should have sold that too

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
It would be your valve cover gaskets and cam seals. If the leak is minor, just ignore it. The 2.8 is a leaky bitch. Just accept it now, and you will be much happier in the long run.

My cam seals/valve cover gaskets have been replaced 3 times in 160k miles and they are leaking again, and you know what, IDGAF (I don't give a ).
Exactly that's wat it is. I don't mind ignoring it if its not serious, just that i can smell oil inside the car & i did see some on the road under the car. So i thought i might just fix it.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry, dude, but the Audi is not the car to learn about cars on. It is WAY too expensive. And, yes, in the case of a used car, you had better know about cars before you buy one!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by prady
Exactly that's wat it is. I don't mind ignoring it if its not serious, just that i can smell oil inside the car & i did see some on the road under the car. So i thought i might just fix it.
IF your seriours about keeping the car and your don't DIY your own work make sure to find a very good Audi independent mechanic. It will save you tons of money.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by prady
So i was supposed to know stuff bout a car before i had the car. I didn't even know much about my PC before i bought it... i should have sold that too

No, it is not a pre-requisite.
However, when you are going to start throwing money left and right, don't blame people that try to warn you about how costly these Audis can get.
Comparing a pc with a car (in this case an expensive European car you know nothing about) probably isn't the best ground to try to stand on with a cocky attitude.
Welcome to the forum...or good bye if you don't keep the car.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
No, it is not a pre-requisite.
However, when you are going to start throwing money left and right, don't blame people that try to warn you about how costly these Audis can get.
Comparing a pc with a car (in this case an expensive European car you know nothing about) probably isn't the best ground to try to stand on with a cocky attitude.
Welcome to the forum...or good bye if you don't keep the car.

Cocky??... wow!! u gotta be kidding me. I come here asking a question bout something i don't know so that i can learn lill more and i'm told to sell my car off & that's fine.. lol..

I'm pretty sure u knew everything about ur Audi 2yrs before u bought. If you would have stuck to the topic & answered the new guy what exactly he asked for, that would've been easily a better way of helping ppl at forum.

A: I have a problem with my car, i don't know wat it is...
B: Wat??.. u dont??... Sell it off coz u know nothing
A: Sure.. i'm on craigslist rite now...

Old 02-03-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by madridlover
IF your seriours about keeping the car and your don't DIY your own work make sure to find a very good Audi independent mechanic. It will save you tons of money.
Well doin the brakes & Oil change is pretty basic. But valve cover gasket is definitely not basic. That's precisely y i started this thread to find out whether its something i can do it or i shud take it to a mechanic.

Quick Reply: 98 A6 Engine Valve Gasket Oil leak