Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 A^ Noisey Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default '99 A^ Noisey Electric Fan

Just picked up this 99 A6 Quattro 2.8L. When the AC is on the electric fan sounds like a jet taking off. It seems to be tuning freely. This is the fan on the passenger side by radiator.

Any thoughts,

If bad, can you go with an aftermarket fan. Audi wants over $300 for one and have found some aftermarket fans as low as $102.00. has anybody used an aftermarket? if so any more reputable places to purchase one.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: '99 A^ Noisey Electric Fan

Get a used fan on eBay or at your local craigslist for 50$ tops.

Does the fan only works when AC is one? If not, does it makes sound when AC is off?
When it's noisy try CAREFULY touching around it's base to make sure nothing is loose nbefore you replace the whole fan.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Does not make the sound when the AC is off. I will try to touch the base tonight to listen. Thansk for the searxch tips.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
SSn
1st Gear

Does the fan even works when AC off? If it does but no sound, then it's not the fan %)

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

i know what you mean,my 99 a6 does it also,they say the clutch fan needs to be replace

Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM

My 99 A6 has been doing this since I got it.
I deemed it fairly normal operation and the cooling hasn't degraded at all, I thought it was normal.

It only does this when the A/C is on but it stops once the car has been moving for a while, only usually does it while the car is in stop and go traffic or parked.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
SSn
1st Gear

Something is not right... AC fan is ellectrical. Is should only come on when AC is on ar when engine is overheating (in traffic).
The mechanical fan with CLUTCH rotates with hte engine all the time and not affected by AC in any way.

Jump the AC fan somewhere (on relay probably) to start the fan when engine is off. If there is no noise your problem is somewhere else.

Any type of abnormal noise is not normal. Unless it's just the normal high speed sound (fan has two speeds)

Old 08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Sound definitely sounds like it is coming from the electrical fan. No AC on no sound. Since there are two speeds and obviousley the higher speed would be louder, how much louder should it be? I have heard many other types of cars when the auxillary fans kicks in and you do hear it. My Audi just seems much louder to the point other people notice it when you drive by.I appreciate all the help that has come so far and any further thoughts.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

My 98 2.8L does the exact same thing with the AC on. Very loud....almost sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Turn off AC and the sound goes away.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Same thing with my 2001, sounds like an old Electrolux is strapped under the hood when the AC is on or while idling. When I kill the engine, the noise decays slowly for a couple of seconds as the fan stops turning. After reviewing past posts, this seems to be a common complaint at various mileage intervals. So is it normal operating noise or does the fan need to be replaced?

Quick Reply: '99 A^ Noisey Electric Fan