Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 A6 just purchased, high mileage, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default '99 A6 just purchased, high mileage, advice?

I just purchased a 1999 A6 from a used car dealer, clean title but it had no paperwork with it. The car has 205xxx miles, drives great, sounds great. I found (after purchase) an owners manual with all repair records from when the car was bought in late '99. 2 owners prior to me, both had the car for a significant period of time and serviced it regularly, for the first 5 at the dealership.

I have a problem with the main display, can only read half the words(sometimes) and the spot where the tach. is at says service INSP.

I changed the oil, but I have never owned an Audi. Anyone have any tips/ideas/types of services/typical problems associated w/ mileage that I should know about?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Congrats!!

Hello twilliams916,

I also purchased a `99 A6Q this week...it's an Avant w/132k miles. I work for an Audi dealership and it was a trade-in. This is my 1st Audi ownership experience, even though I've been working for them for 17yrs.
The first thing(s) you should probably be concerned with is the timing belt/water pump...Audi recommends the belt be changed every 110k miles, but every 90k is probably a safer number. If you don't know or can't find out when it's been changed last, better sooner than later. You really don't want a broken belt to void your investment. Valve cover/Chain tensioner gaskets are also prone to leakage on aging 2.8s. Also check the condition of the vacuum hoses & plastic tubes...any leaks there will throw a CEL and drive you batty. You didn't mention if it was a Quattro or Front-track or the transmission type...leaking transmission tail housing seals on Quattro models are common. Automatic trans' can become temperamental over time and sometimes a fluid change makes things worse...with your kind of mileage, if it ain't broke...don't fix it. There are a total of 8 front control arms with non-serviceable ball joints...check them for play and replace them accordingly. And while you're there, check the inner & outer CV boots for wear/damage. The disappearing pixels in the instrument cluster display are all too common unfortunately...mine are also on their way out. Reman. clusters are really cost prohibitive from the dealer, but I've heard they can be rebuilt in the aftermarket for much less. I'd also like to get mine fixed, but not until after I take care of the above mentioned list on my car. Your "INSP" light should be reset by using a scan tool with VAG software. I sure there are a ton of other things to watch out for...but I'll let another forum member 'fill in the blank' on those.

Good Luck!!

UberTeile

Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear

All good sugestions ---

Uber Teile forgot to mention that you needed to bendover and kiss you wallet goodby!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
All good sugestions ---

Uber Teile forgot to mention that you needed to bendover and kiss you wallet goodby!
lol...yea, I know my high-mileage A6 is gonna test the limits of my resourcefulness...but I still love driving it(compared to the `93 Volvo that it replaced).

Old 05-15-2010, 03:29 PM

I recently bought a 2001 Audi Allroad as is from an out of state Chevy dealer. It had a module for the steering wheel switches which was shorting out to ground the K terminal for the OBDII terminal connector. This caused the scanner to be unable to link, so they didn't know what was wrong. The secondary air pump, the left exhaust gas temperature sensor, the main vent hose assembly and the third brake light needed replacing. Fortunately, this could be done without removing the engine. Unfortunately, the timing belt may need to be done soon, as it has about 105,000 miles.
VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com said that the K1 terminal was shorted to ground.
I used the BentleyPublishers.com Audi shop manual wiring diagrams to find out which modules connect to the K terminal.
A well maintained high mileage Audi would be a bargain. However, many people sell cars which have been neglected. Too much deferred maintenance may result in an empty wallet.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Transmission flush and fluid replacement bad idea? That goes against everything I know about cars.... but you know what you are talking about. ill keep that whole list in mind, i know minor replacements/repairs help avoid costly replacements/repairs later.

Thanks guys, any more advice welcome...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

whats the difference between the regular 2.8 quattro and the avant?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear

Avant has a bit more body work at the rear .... as in station wagon... LOL

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by twilliams916
Transmission flush and fluid replacement bad idea? That goes against everything I know about cars.... but you know what you are talking about. ill keep that whole list in mind, i know minor replacements/repairs help avoid costly replacements/repairs later.

Thanks guys, any more advice welcome...

The discussion about changing trans fluid can be hot and heavy ... There are two camps 1. do it every 40-50 K and 2. don't touch it.

There are horror stories on both sides but more seem to be on the change it side. I believe that most of the problems happen when someone hasn't changed the fluid for an extended time and then does it. This stirs up all kinds of junk and eventually screws up something that costs big dollars. I got my last Audi used at about 150K miles and decided to leave the transmission alone (other than a top off -using the correct procedure when I changed the radiator) It now has almost 250K without a trans oil flush or any trans problems so I can say I am doing the right thing for my car.

I personally wouldn't screw with the trans if it has over 125K and I don't know if it has been flushed before. I take the opposite stand with the Timing belt - if I can't verify the timing belt has been done I do it immediatly -if not before..

Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I recently changed the fluid in my wife's A6Q at 230K and I can now understand both sides of this issue. The fluid came out looking great and there was very little metal on any of the six magnets. Since this was the first time the fluid had ever been changed, I was really surprised, but it seems like I could have left it in there a little longer. On the other hand, it shifts better now, and for $120, it seems like cheap insurance. I'll have to wait and see if it develops the I-stirred-up-all-the-sludge-problems I've read about, but so far, so good.

By the way, my wife was able to destroy the transmissions in her last two cars (1993 Ford Taurus and 1994 Chrylser LHS), but she's put ~140K on the Audi so far without issue, so it must be bolted together right!

Quick Reply: '99 A6 just purchased, high mileage, advice?