Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default 99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here and lets just say it probably wont be the greatest. To start off with my Audi started making this very loud clicking noise under the hood coming from the left side of the motor. I was very confused why it would be making this noise, because it is a very well taking care car. So I began to search online and I've seen people have a problem with the cam chain tensioners, well come to find out that was the problem. I then started to remove the bumper, transmission, etc. I also removed all of the value covers on both sides, and what do you know that was my problem. The tensioner was wore very bad as seen in the pics. I had to take everything apart from the timing belt to the oil pan. While I was this far into my project I went ahead and replaced both tensioners, all the gaskets, thermostat, water pump, and spark plugs.

So now I am almost complete with the entire project, except for some small delays (emissions line broke, and one of my headlight brackets is cracked). It started up and runs pretty well, I think I still need to get all of the air out of the lines, considering it sit for 3 months and was opend up.

I was very surprised that I was able to complete this task, because im only 16. Lol but all in all it was a pretty decent job to complete, I only have about 400 in the repair, and that's for all the parts!!!!!

Im gonna go out there today and finish put all the clamps down on the coolant lines, and put the bumper back on.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Smile Photos of (THE) Job

Photos

Attached Thumbnails 99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)-photo-1.jpg   99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)-photo-5.jpg   99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)-front.jpg   99 Audi A6 (Cam Tensioner Replacement)-photo-2.jpg