Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering leak

I have a 1999 Audi A6 2.8l Quattro and it has very slowly been leaking power steering fluid for quite a few months. It was not a very big deal, I would just have some spare PS fluid if it ever got low. Until yesterday. I had recently topped off the PS tank and drove it into town. Upon my return, it started getting hard to turn the wheel and it made that awful sound that cars make when the PS fluid is low. I got home and noticed it had almost drained the tank. It was foamy in the tank as well. So i filled the tank back up thinking that I would watch to see if it was a hose that was leaking but it only leaks when the car is turned on or has just been driven. And it leaks a lot when that happens. This lead me to believe that the pump went out. Is this the right conclusion? If so, where should I look for a new pump and a how-to since I would prefer to do the work myself instead of taking it in to the dealership and paying out the a$$. If it is not the case, then how can I diagnose the problem?
Thanks guys!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Upon further research and inspection, I realized that if it were the pump, the steering would be very difficult no matter how much fluid I just put in the tank. This is not the case however, when I fill the PS tank up, The wheels turn with ease as if there is no problem. That is, however when it starts leaking the most. Looking into the wheel well, I've noticed that the area around the Tie Rods are connected to the Rack are pretty wet with PS fluid.
So then this is most likely an hose or clamp issue. Is there an easy way to get at the hoses in that area or am I going to have to rough it through what little space I have there?