Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7T feeler. Opinions PLZ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default A6 2.7T feeler. Opinions PLZ!!!

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ess=&cardist=0

I have a friend who is looking at this car. Clean car fax, though the one thing about the fender liner being adjusted bothers me. I am going with him to drive it friday. I just wanted to see what you guys think about it. Seems like a nice car, it even has the sport seats. The wheels arent bad looking either IMO. Its missing the airbox trim piece, and the coolant tank is way yellowed. Other than that, looks ok. What do you think??

Will find out about front suspension when we test drive
the timing belt has not been changed
orginal turbos
2 owners, originally a lease.

Last edited by 2001A6; 01-28-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

good looking car....sounds like you know what to look for. Knowing that the timing belt hasnt been changed yet, that price is a little high. I am in the used car buisness and would say a fair price is $9000 max.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear

AUdi coolant tanks all turn yellow over time so don't be concerned there. I concur with 99A6Q about the TB job. Also brakes, control arms and tie rods ends will be due for replacement. Now, if all of these have been done, the price might be fair. If not, you will be faced with doing them all in the next 20,000 miles, so figure that cost into your calculations.

Bob

Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

I may be too picky, but look again for a second time at the CarFax Report:

07/30/2004 32,306
Prestige Imports
Lakewood, CO
303-238-8101
www.prestigeimports.net
Vehicle serviced

09/28/2004 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Illinois
Listed as
a fleet vehicle

Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.

09/30/2004 32,307 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
Front brake rotors replaced
Rear brake rotors replaced
Fender liner adjusted/secured
Washer fluid reservoir replaced
Headlight washer pump motor replaced
Parts ordered
Wheel(s) replaced
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Windshield replaced
1) Why the car needed to be reserviced after 2 months and with only 1 mile difference on the odometer (post auction sale), when it already was serviced in Colorado at 32,306 miles?

2) Doesn't seem like a front-end mishap in the pattern of parts replaced?

3) Why does it have a MISSOURI emission inspection tag, since the car is listed as being only in Colorado and Illinois?

Just a thought.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

As far as the vehicle being serviced with only 1 mile difference, what I am guessing is that someone had it serviced then took it to sale at the auction. I am not sure about other states but here in NC when we buy a car at an auction it is a state law that the dealer who buys the car must have it inspected and most of the time we service them at the same time just because its already in the shop.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear

I know about the coolant tanks, mine was yellow too. So I replaced it. It makes the enine compartment look 100 times better!
Chefro, thats what I was referring to, however I didnt notice the milage... thats strange. Seems like it was wrecked, as the fender liner and coolant tank are in the same place. Why were the rotors replaced at 32k?? Same with wheels. My thought on that is since it is a sport pak car(has the seats), it probably had the 17" BBS wheels, and one of em got fuked in its wreck. And since they are over $500 each from Audi, they probably just decided to buy some cheapo aftermarket rims. However, they arent to bad looking.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99A6Q
As far as the vehicle being serviced with only 1 mile difference, what I am guessing is that someone had it serviced then took it to sale at the auction. I am not sure about other states but here in NC when we buy a car at an auction it is a state law that the dealer who buys the car must have it inspected and most of the time we service them at the same time just because its already in the shop.
I wasn't aware of that law. Thanks for for sharing.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Well, as far as the Mizura emission tag, when first time looking at the link I went straight into the pics/Carfax and didn't scroll the page down. The car is offered for sale by a St Louis dealer....doh... They must have bought it at the Illinois auction.

As far as the "front-end" supposition, after the aformentioned "servicing" (repair), it looks like the Schaumburg dealer sold it as a "Certified pre-owned" unit and the buyer drove the car for a little bit over 3 years, trading it to Audi of Tinley Park. The car also passed every emission inspection( at 46,600; at 79000; and obviously in its new "home"-state, Mizura)

Maybe I'm indeed too picky, but I would definitely negotiate the price below 10,000. Probably they also have a bogus 'docummentation" fee of $ 250 or more. Dealers can print anymore temporary plates online for like $ 3 per unit.
Also, make sure you know the difference in State tax you have to pay for registration. When purchased from a Private seller, the tax is based on the year - for a 2001 should be below $ 100; conversely, if purchased from a dealer you have to pay a percentage of the price (whatever is in the state you live, 6.25%, or 7%, or whatever is).

Good luck pursuing the car.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Smile

It sounds a little high to me in light of current market conditions. I paid $10,500 for an 2004 with 53,000 miles last month. It needed tires and brakes which puts me at a little over $11,800. Still, I think you could do a little better. You just have to be patient I suppose as many dealers are running short of breath and are wanting to make deals. Audi sells lower here in TX as we have no snow or Ice to justify the 4wd. They just don't seem to be in high demand which is fine by me it keeps prices low. But I would hate to be the guy who bought new. $40K depreciation over 53K miles is almost $1 per mile in depreciation. Ouch! My Range Rover went from 70K to 20K in 36K miles. I would hate to be that guy: $50K in 36K miles! I don't know why anyone would buy a european car new, but I am glad they do.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
2nd Gear

The parts list seems normal for a Colorado (or Illinois) car. Replacing a windshield every two years is SOP in Colorado due to the cinders they use on the roads instead of salt. Wheels, especially the BBS, and potholes don't get along. The "adjust fender liner" is what happens when those dorky fasteners for the undertray pop out or you try to drive without the undertray. I "adjusted" mine with a couple of wire ties. The washer reservoir is an ongoing leak issue with my car and it looks like they took the shotgun approach to fixing it, which is actually a good thing. What you don't see are timing belt or control arms or tie rod ends......

Bob

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T feeler. Opinions PLZ!!!