AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   A6 2.7T sudden power loss (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/a6-2-7t-sudden-power-loss-159944/)

torque27 11-14-2010 08:08 AM

A6 2.7T sudden power loss

Just bought a 2000 A6 2.7T last month (private sale).

Been going well till I took it to 200km/h yesterday when a sudden power loss occurred. Has stayed like that ever since.

The engine is still revving fine and seems mechanically ok (I am no mechanic so could be way off here). Gears still work fine and car drives the same for cruising around. It feels like the turbos are not working anymore. I had a look under the hood and noticed one of the clips holding the large flexible pipe that feeds the turbos was missing. Cable tied it for now, but still no power. Tried to check all the hoses etc but didn't see anything else obvious.

Any ideas on what to check and what can be done with DIY? What kind of things generally go wrong?

bob martin 11-14-2010 08:31 AM

ANy codes?

There are too many possibilities for us to diagnose this problem remotely without something to go on.

Good luck,

Bob

torque27 11-14-2010 08:56 AM

Hi Bob

No warning lights on the dash if that's what you asking?

Or do you mean error codes from the ECU? I am thinking I should buy some hardware to be able to connect my laptop and get diagnostic info. I like to try and learn as I go and do as much as possible myself rather than just throwing money at the problem.

Any suggestions for what hardware to buy to help diagnose this and future issues?

Thanks
Don

02A6Beau 11-14-2010 09:01 AM

VAGCOM is what you want for hooking up your laptop. Try a search here as there are a lot of threads that detail what options are available.

jhuffman 11-14-2010 10:25 AM

My guess is boost leak. Check your diverter valves, there is lots of information about them here.

torque27 11-15-2010 12:23 AM

Thanks for the info.

I'll be sure to check out those things mentioned.

nemohm 11-15-2010 10:53 AM

Audis are limited at 213 km/h (as far as I remember).
Nothing wrong if the power gets cut there, the persistence of the loss is troublesome.

torque27 11-15-2010 11:26 AM

Tried my luck looking for visible tears, but didn't find anything.

Found someone selling a Chinese clone VAG which I am considering buying to get the codes asap. Is this a bad idea? Horror stories using non original VAG?

torque27 11-16-2010 12:37 AM

Got a VAG last night cos I want to see what's going on myself instead of having to take it to the workshop every time something goes wrong. Will still make the air pressure tester to check the hoses etc.

Found this fault code:
17125 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred
P0741 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

How bad is it?

bob martin 11-16-2010 07:25 AM

Clear them, run the car then read the codes again. Codes tend to stick around so it is always a good idea to write down the codes, clear them then see if they reappear before taking any action.

The 17125 code could mean you need a rebuilt transmission so let's hope that was an intermittant code.

Bob