Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7T Tip or M6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Default A6 2.7T Tip or M6?

Hello everybody, new here. Just said goodbye to my 2002 volvo S40 T4 auto, really nice ride but form what I have read in this forum looks like Audi's turbos are more fun than Volvo's. I really love the turbo powered engine, originally I was looking for more room and decided to sell my T4 in order to get a S60 T5, anyways, I came across an A6 2.7T and felt the difference, mainly in the solid feel of the car, gives a lot more confidence plus the quattro feature. Now I have in sight a 2002 A6 2.7T with 40k miles and a stick, now, I'm hesitating to pick it up or just wait for an automatic. I know that 90% of times the auto will be a far better choice but that 10% of times when I can really enjoy the turbos would make up for dealing with the manual trans in everyday traffic. Is there too much of a difference between stick and auto in the 2.7T ? Would I really enjoy more the turbos with a stick? Is it really worth it on those heavy traffic days?
Thanks for the input!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 2.7T Tip or M6?

a6 all the way!!

turbo's r the siht!!

if you get a tip chip you'll have a really solid tranny that can take that abuse from an engine chip
2.7tt all the way...

i think you make somthing in the ball park of 300hp with a chip, add to that the tip chip and you'll rape 80% of the cars out there...

Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

I thought you were gonna aske if you should get the A6 or a BMW M6. way different money!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

if you plan on keeping it simple with the mods. i.e exhaust / intake / tinted windows / rims / nice suspension and some audio i would say get the tip.The tip does pritty well all around and is a great daily driver drivetrain bundled with a GIAC X chip and a Tip Chip.

If you plan on going deeper then just basic performance then get the 6 speed. Also it kind of depends on who you are and how agressive you are. If your a real sporty driver go for the 6 speed if your a cruiser that likes to just lay the pedal down every now and then get the tip.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

And now for a different opinion...

Go for the manual. I got an 01 2.7T 6-speed as the first manual I've ever owned and absolutely love it. The 2.7T is a stellar performer bone stock -- 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. That kind of performance is pretty addictive. The six speed lets you control that in a manner not possible with the tip (which is slower: 6.7 sec). It will give you a fuller driving experience that more than makes up for the occasional inconvenience you'll encounter in stop and go traffic (where an automatic would be preferred). If you plan on modding the car (e.g., chipping it to improve HP), you'll also be better off with the manual. A tip chip will improve the performance of the auto tranny, but it will not make it any hardier. The manual is the preferred transmission for tuners because it can handle the greater horsepower better. Increased reliability of the manual was one of the reasons I went with the stick. My ex had an A6 and the tranny went on her. I've also heard of similar horror stories from others. You would probably never have a problem with it, but I wanted to give myself every edge I could to increase reliability given that I was purchasing a five year old car.

Good luck and go manual -- you'll never regret it. If you're not wild about it, you will be able to sell it easier than the tip -- supply vs. demand easily favors the manual.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the input, I´m leaning for the manual, but I´m open for more info. From what I´ve read from your replies the tip should be an awesome pick too. I do not drive too agresive, most of the times (weekends) my wife rides with me (not weekdays but anyway those don't count because of the traffic jams) and she wouldn't allow too much of a sporty driving he hehe... but for those "once in a whiles" that I could shame a 3 series by myself I'd deffinetly appreciate a stick!