AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   A6 2.8 quattro avant Dilemma, please help (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/a6-2-8-quattro-avant-dilemma-please-help-956/)

gallardo 01-23-2004 07:48 AM

A6 2.8 quattro avant Dilemma, please help

Hello, I hope someone can help me out here. I have a Audi 2.8 Quattro Avant. It is a 98 model with 117,000 miles on the clock, its fully loaded, leather seats, heated electric seats front and rear, bose stero etc. However, the car did not work over the xmas period, and a friend jump started the car in second gear (although its an automatic) and the car ran again. When i got the car back..one day last week it wouldnt start. I thought it was the oil, so i took it to the garage, and they have now told me that I need a whole new gearbox.</P>

first question is- do u think the gearbox did not work due to my friend jump starting it in second gear?</P>

second question- the Audi dealership have told me that the new gearbox alone will cost £5000 and on top of that labour, so i am looking at a bill of £6-7,000! The car is worth about £8,000. is that right if the gearbox was working?</P>

What should i do? can i sell the car withouth the gearbox working, and how much will i get for it?</P>

Or, can i source the gearbox myself and get an independent dealer to fit it, and how much would that likely to cost?</P>

</P>

Or, is anyone out there willing to make me an offer on a 98 model, private plated silver Audi a6 2.8 sport tiptronic avant, fully loaded, with sound engine, 117,000 miles?</P>

</P>

i very much look forward to your comments, as the car is in the dealership at this minute, and i need some answers soon,otherwise i am going to be £6,000 poorer</P>

</P>

regards</P>

K</P>

BiTurboMan 02-27-2004 08:15 PM

A6 2.8 quattro avant Dilemma, please help

First, confirm that it is the trans issue. It doesn't hurt to check with couple dealers. Dealers are out there to rip people off in general. So, watch out.</P>

Do the math, If your car needs $6000 work and it is worth $8000, when you sell it after fixing it, you will get $2000. Now, cars are the worst investments since they depreciate as soon as you bring out of the dealer's lot on an average of $2000 or so.. You have to decide here.</P>

Can you replace the vehicle with another that has the same comfort and features as your current vehicle?</P>

How much do you like the car to foot the bill?</P>

Utlimately, it's your decision. I don't think anyone can tell you to sell or keep. </P>

One thing I can tell you is that Audi certified Techs will do the job right. But, it will cost you more. However, you may find a good import / tech... make sure they deal exclusively with German cars and not Jap or Korean... and throw a pitch and see what they can do that for... </P>

I am sorry you had to go through this but there is little anyone can do to help.</P>

If you ask my personal opinion, The car has 118k miles on it. Things will start going wrong as the car has been on the road. German car repairs are expensive. Why not try to sell it as it is or trade it in and go for another Used (low miles or Certified audi..etc.) or a new car instead? Remember, no matter what you do, money goes out of the pocket when you deal with cars.</P>