Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 automatic says- depress clutch pedal before starting

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Ok, Checked for voltage on the 3pin connector on cam sensor. It has 11.3 volts. But when I drove it a little around the corner it gives me more codes. Codes are in this order:
P-0300 Random Misfire
P-0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire detected
P-0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire detected
P-0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire detected
P-1392 Manufacture Control
P-0300 Random Misfire
P-0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire detected
P-0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire detected
P-0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire detected

Does anyone know if this could be because I got the chain off by one link? I think I checked about three or four times, but maybe I didn't do it right. I saw someehere else it could be the vacuum lines? I don't think the vacuum would cause these codes to show up. and since it is only on one bank I think it might have to do either with the timing or the cam position sensor.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Bump. I changed the vacuum lines. same thing. It vibrates a little still. I will check the spark plugs tonight. Could the cam on bank this bank be off just a few degrees? I did use the locking bar across both cams, but I still wonder about the timing chain being off one link. From what I can find both passenger side and drivers side should both be 16 links. Thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Hello,
New to being a member and new to Audi. I have to say my 02 A4 B6 is by far the best car i have owned out of 16, definatly a new experience.

Anyway, did you ever figure out your "Press clutch to start engine" problem?

I just obtained my first Audi as i was saying. she is an 02 A4 B6 Quattro 3.0 with the CVT Tranny. My problem Also follows suit with yours with the "press clutch to start" problem. The car starts and runs fine, aside from a misfire on cyl #4. I have gone through every setting I can on the ross-tech (aside from logging in because i have no clue what the 7 digit code is) I have verified the ecm and tcm both have matching VIN and Immobilizer numbers.

The only background I know about it is the battery is new. the old one was dead for at least a month as the car sat.

Also (Probably not related) But my intereior lights , Dash, raido, hvac, doors, trunk, illumination lights do not turn on. I had to trick the cluster to light up the needles and numbers with the VAG. also doing the OUTPUT test on the cluster proved that EVERY thing worked more than properly. so that tells me some relay is bad or the ECM is programmed wrong.

Anyhelp would be awesome!

Love the fourm

Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Same problem here. Same situation.

I'm not seeing any definite resolutions posted on this.
I have the exact same symptom and circumstance: I replaced engine and now, no spark. Only cranking and the occasional mini putter as if it wants to start. I get the "depress clutch pedal to start" on the info display although it's an automatic and has always been an automatic.
I have a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 liter V6, first generation of the 30v engines.
I even met an actual VW/Audi tech at a local dealer and he didn't have any good advice.
Clearly this is common when servicing the vehicle.
I see lots of others who get this after doing the timing belt.
So what causes this error?
No I didn't have water damage.
I have only taken apart the electrical plugs (with battery disconnected of course) but just like all these people who do any major engine work, we go back to start it and have a confused ECU.

Anyone out there who has a definitive explanation of this would be most appreciated!!!!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Mine's doing it too

I have a 1999 A6 Avant Quattro with the 2.8 30v V6 and Tiptronic. My mechanic friend was checking out the timing belt and some check engine lights about a month ago, but hasn't had time to get back to it. It's​ salvage and doesn't have plates, so I put a car cover on it in the driveway... which covered the solar panel in the sunroof that was keeping the battery​ charged.

I went to start it last night and got the PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL TO START which was pretty confusing on an automatic. It wouldn't even crank, though the interior lights dimmed when I tried.

Looks like my next steps are to check the fuses (especially #31), check the connectors for the ECU and TCU, charge the battery, and if that doesn't do it, get my friend to bring his VAG-TEC.

Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted by zacharyzoosh
I'm not seeing any definite resolutions posted on this.
I have the exact same symptom and circumstance: I replaced engine and now, no spark. Only cranking and the occasional mini putter as if it wants to start. I get the "depress clutch pedal to start" on the info display although it's an automatic and has always been an automatic.
I have a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 liter V6, first generation of the 30v engines.
I even met an actual VW/Audi tech at a local dealer and he didn't have any good advice.
Clearly this is common when servicing the vehicle.
I see lots of others who get this after doing the timing belt.
So what causes this error?
No I didn't have water damage.
I have only taken apart the electrical plugs (with battery disconnected of course) but just like all these people who do any major engine work, we go back to start it and have a confused ECU.

Anyone out there who has a definitive explanation of this would be most appreciated!!!!
D

Old 10-08-2020, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Me too!

Same issue here.

I have a 2007 a4 b7. I just had timing serviced about 2 months ago. Car has been sitting for about 3 weeks. Go to start it today and car starts and runs for like 2 seconds and then dies. Dash is going crazy and showing up gibberish on trip meter and odometer. Trip and odemeter no longer light up. Center display shows a message that reads, please press in clutch to start vehicle. Message no longer appears. But my car is an automatic transmission and doesn't have a clutch. At first was showing abs, traction control, hand brake lights maybe some others but I can't remember now. But now only shows abs light. Battery is full charge I think. My dash does not work. Rpm gauge not working when I Rev engine before engine dies. Aftermarket Radio does not power on. OBD II does not connect to torque app.

I have no idea what could cause this. Was working fine when I last drove the car. The common theme here seems to be having timing serviced. Maybe there is something to that.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AUDIFIELD
now i'm really stumped. anyone seen this come up on the dash display before?
this is a 99 2.8 automatic 30v that I just got done doing the timing belt on for the second time. the first time i was replacing the thermo from overheating issues and the belt slipped off. have all the tools and have followed all the proceedures to the "T". if I depress the gas pedal and hold it it tries to start as well as just cranking relentlessly without the pedal.
but just semi-sputters. WTF on this coming up on an automatic???

I have same issue....it was needing a battery replacement...so $200 later problem fixed

Old 01-25-2021, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery

Originally Posted by Amy Loeffelholz-Hilleshiem
I have same issue....it was needing a battery replacement...so $200 later problem fixed
Same. I bought a new battery and it started right up. Now my odometer says error though. Not sure why though. I know there are two counters. One in the dash and one in the drive train. I'm guessing it is because one of the mileage counters lost power before the other one. And now they are not matching.