Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 C5 with faulty automatic transmission - should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 C5 with faulty automatic transmission - should I buy?

Hi,
I have a chance to buy a 2000 A6 C5 for a relatively cheap price. The catch is that the automatic transmission is dead.
So, as I understand it, from reading these forums it is a very expensive repair, and at some point in the future, the problem may return, even if installing a new one.

Now, what if I simply remove the auto and replace it with a manual one from a salvaged car? Must it be from another A6 C5, or can it come from say an A4 B5 or B6? Does the engine on the donor car have to be the same as that on this one?
An finally, even if I were to get the manual transmission for cheap and have it installed, would it be a plug and play installation, or would it require significant adaptations, and most importantly, would the car work perfectly provided the installation was good?

many thanks for taking the time to read this.

cheers,
chicotico

Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

There is a guy in the A4 section that did a 4.2 40V swap with a manual transmission into what I'd like to say is a 3.0 chassis. I think the thread is well over 10 pages long now of dialogue back and forth, and indeed there was some talk about swapping it from auto to manual. It wasn't just a simple plug and play thing if that's what you want.

Maybe I'm mashing two separate threads together, but there's a fair amount of work to swap a manual into an auto setup.

What in specific is wrong with the current transmission? Are you getting all sorts of torque converter errors? Does it not go into gear?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Hi,
I don't actually own it, so I don't know all the details - only that it's leaking and the seller says that it should be replaced.

If it were simply a case of removing it and replacing it with a manual, without any major adaptations, then I would buy it (and get the manual transmission from a car being dismantled). But seeing as that isn't the case, it would be stupid to do it, since replacing it would very easily exceed the car's value.

cheers,
chicotico